Need Help - MPhil / PhD

P

Hello Forum,

I need to your help to understnad my situation? Please help?

Here's the scenario: I have attended school in USA and completed my MS Engineering. I am trying to find a school in UK to start PhD in Engineering. I received a response from university that i will be admitted in MPhil instead of PhD. My question is , I have Masters of Engineering already why I should go for another masters?
Is this the normal procedure, I tried to search on the forum but did not get the same situation like mine?
Please suggest should I go for Mphil or find another school which will take me directly in PhD. In USA ther is no MPhil required, I am confused please help!!
Looking forward you help. Thanks

S

It depends on what they said exactly, and you should get them to clarify for you directly

But! what usually happens is that:

You get offered the PhD, but are actually registered for an mPhil for the first year, at which point you complete what is called a transfer report (transferring from mphil to PhD), then just finish off the PhD

Its all the same thing really - just a different way of putting it - its still 3-4 years.

I think the reason for it is so you can write up at the end of year 1 and leave with at least an mPhil if you find you don't want to continue.

I know that in some fields you could use your masters to get past this - but I suspect only if it was in exactly the same field and exactly the same topic - even then they may not let you do it that way

However you should get them to clarify this before accepting any post - you don't want to end up in the wrong job!

Good Luck

S

G

Chill... This is normal in the UK!

S

It is indeed normal. I did an MPhil then changed topics radically when staying on for a PhD - so I was automatically registered as 'MPhil in the first instance'. My supervisor then forgot to upgrade me until last term - then I got the letter out of the blue - no report or panel or anything. Usually there is some kind of first year review to upgrade to PhD.