Need info


I am searching a funded Ph.D. in Europe, now living in France, but mostly interested in UK, i do have 2 master's in PHYSICS, solid state Physics and Material science(engineering). I am looking a position in academia( not interested in industry Ph.D.), I do have work permit in FRANCE, but for UK, I need to apply for visa and all, I am not from EU. Is it possible to get a good position in the well known university from UK. What is general rule to validate in candidature for overseas student. (snowman).
Thank you for response.