need tips on motivation and speeding up please

B

Any tip on motivation to write, to finish up or to speed up ?
Thanks!!

V

think about and plan nive things you really want to do after finishing. it helps:)

B

Think about your funding running out!!!

S

The gut-renching fear of failure?

V

BB: that might not help.At least it does not help me;)

M

I like to think of my writing up process in terms of the 'Pulling off a Scabby Old Plaster' theory - the faster you do it, the sooner it will be over for ever.

B

MTB - I'm definitely with you on that one!

B

Thank you so much !!

C

Blocks of concentrated writing e.g. a week to get to a target working really efficiently.
Not going on the Internet.... or taking breaks all the time....

I love your username, although I really want some banana cake now

S

Motivation to write up - well unfortunately money running out didn't seem to make any difference to me :o( What worked for me: having someone else set my deadline for me (but i'm no good at sticking to my own deadlines), having something to look forward to afterwards (holiday), setting myself a daily and weekly schedule (good for getting started even if you don't stick to it), and setting mini targets that you can tick off and feel good about seeing the progress, making sure you take regular breaks (e.g. harry potter) or exercise (e.g thrash out frustration on a squash court). Limiting internet/email time (not worked for me today, not done any work yet!!)

H

Read 'The Motivated Mind' by Raj Persaud - all the answers are in there. There are three reasons why people do not achive their goals a) goal conflict b) inadequate resources c) lack of tracking progress over time. One of the handy tips if say loosing weight is to broadcast to friends and family what your targets are, then very difficult and embarassing to back out of them!

I am sending a friend my weekly thesis timetable (for each bit) so he can hold me accountable if not done! This way hopefully no more time dwardling!

B

Raj Persaud 'The Motivated Mind' ... is that one of his plagarised articles! (but seriously, he was exposed for lifting an an entire article - not sure which one - from another journal)

C

Weekly thesis timetable, hmm maybe that's where I'm going wrong. It's a struggle as want to have already finished and be in a job.