Need to know more about a phd

P

Hi

I have just completed my masters and the bar vocational course. I passed my masters in law and obtained a competemt grade for the bar and also obtained a 2.1 at degree level. Am i qualified tio take a phd?

Also i understand that one needs to choose subject areas they are interested in. At the moment i seem to be interest in something to do with International refugee law/humanitarian law. But i am also interested in African law. Are subject areas for PHD's chosen according to what's on offer at the university where one is studying? Or can one choose a subject area of their choice, which is not taught at the university of one's choice? Or is this applicable instead to research area's i.e if i am interested in a research area pertaning to african law then i can research that / do that as part of my thesis.

I am getting somewhat confused or should i say really confused by the look of things. Any explanation would be well appreciated.

Thanks loads mates.

P

hi

it sounds like you definatly would be qualified to do a phd.

although i don't know anything about law phds, if they work the same way as in life sciences departments, then you'll have a few options. The departments in various univeristies will advertise phds where a supervisor has already decided on the exact project - jobs.ac.uk is a good website to look for this kind of thing. this wouldn't have to be something you are especially interested in for you to apply - it's more important that its a project that you would be happy to work on.

Or if you have a specific area that you are really interested in - such as African law - then i would suggest that a good starting point is to identify universities you would like to go to, then look at the law departments staff webpages, and see if you can find a member of staff who researches within a similiar area. Then you can just get in touch with that member of staff and and discuss the type of project you'd be interested in doing, and ask if they would consider supervising you. If they agree, then they will discuss with you options for funding etc.

hope that helps a bit