new phd international student- tips and suggestions welcome!

S

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and simply searched for information on current students doing PhDs and viola this site came up. I am a first year phd international student, so in the midst of the moving to a new country and university, I am finding that my desire to do this phd thing is not as strong as it used to be. This is partially due to my programme not living up to my initial expectations. Additionally, I seriously think the lack of support for Phd students as well as international students really can take a toll on you. Any advice , suggestions ??

R

Talk to your sup.

Go out.

Find a hobby.

This advice may seem silly, but believe me, it is not. It's been scientifically proven by my firends and myself (by try and error method) to work.

O

I would say, do not underestimate the stress of such a huge relocation, along with the stress of starting a new PhD programme. I am in the start of my second week in a new country, and I think it is just going to take several weeks before things ease into "normal", that it takes some time to make all the adjustments. I find that indulging my odd cravings for things from home ( like Doritos and Mcdonalds--that I never ate at home!) from time to time, remembering to laugh, a lot, and getting the right amounts of sleep and exercise, and eating properly make a huge difference. I have finally caught up on sleep, and the world looks completely different!