new PhD student at QMUL?

I

Hello, i am soon starting my PhD at QMUL,
is there any one from school of Biological and Chemical scienec who is also starting Oct 2008?

E

Not at QMUL but there are a couple of us starting at other london unis. Damm this forum and it's lack of PM-ability.

I

:)Brilliant, any ways which uni are you studying you PhD and which are is it based on?

M

I already got a place at Leeds , but I am applying for a place at UCL as well . QMUL is a very good university , I been told

I

QMUL has world class photosynthesis research group. You should visit this website http://www.photosynthesis.sbcs.qmul.ac.uk/

M

Photosynthesis , what is that to do with anything !

I

Well if you are Biochemist and if you have interest on bioenergetics, membrane proteins and future biofuel, then photosynthesis play big role.

E

iski

I'd rather not put that on here...It would identify me...could you join the other forum and I will pm you.

ejc

I

Hi ejc,
I am new to this forum and when u said other forum, which one is it?

E

http://phdforum.heavenforum.com/

Sorry to be paranoid! I'm the same name on there.

I

Thanks

N

I used to be a PhD students at qmul (biomedical research). I highly dont recommend it.
They dont care about their students. If you have problem with your supervisor no one will help you. They all will be against you. Even if you have evidences proved that you are been treated with injustice by your supervisor.
From my experience and many people I met agreed with me that if you have a problem with your supervisor (which can easily happened) expect that the whole uni senior staff will be against you no matter how badly and injusticely you've been treated.
London is very expensive plus accommodation is always a hassle.
Also qmul is not highly ranked uni as well.

D

Hi Natalie, It sounds like you had a horrible experience but it sounds like academia as they like to sweep such problems under the carpet and pretend problem sueprvisors don't exist and say such annoying things like "They get away with it due to their position/personality!" which is really unfair. If you made an official complaint surely they would have to investigate it but then depending on the influence or status of supervisor they may get in the way of your career prospects as you know how small academia is! But then again if your supervisor is well known for their behaviour then they might disregard what he says. You never know - it's a tricky situation and a horrible one to be in! Anyway you survived it which makes you a stronger person and you'll know how to deal with such characters in the future! ;-)