New PhD student in Southampton Uni

N

Hi, I am new to the forum in terms of posting but i have been browsing through for the last couple of years. It has really been helpful as i applied for a PhD and despite the gloom and doom in some of the messages, it confirmed for me that a PhD is what i should be doing.

I will be coming to Southampton in September to start my PhD in the social sciences. Just wanted some advice from any current Phd'ers who might in the area. I am an international student but was in the UK for my masters 2 years ago. So:

1. Anyone stayed in halls? I have applied for St. Margarets house among others and would appreciate feedback/pictures if you have any.
2. Do most PhD students get offices and generally shared among how many?
3. how long does it take for a bank account to be opened. I have read/hear anything from 3 days to a month. so just wanted some other views.

Thanks a lot. :-)

======= Date Modified 31 Jul 2011 22:06:10 =======
I can't answer question 1) as I didn't move away from home for my PhD.

Question 2), you'll end up sharing with a few others normally. In some Universities, that may mean an open plan office with many as 20 or 30 students. You'll get a computer and a desk, whatever the set-up. I prefer the latter, as I can talk to more people.

Question 3), you should be able to open a bank account almost straight away, provided you have (in your case) two forms of identity including your passport as you're not a UK national. As a second form of identity, you might want to use student / workplace identity such as a Student Union card or University ID card. Alternatively, some form of ID from your home country might suffice such as a driving licence. Have you an international driving license?

Finally, good luck with your PhD!!!

N

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Now all i have to do is tell my boss here that i won't be sticking around for the long term. aaargh! Anyone had to quit a really good job to go do a PhD? How did you go about it?

======= Date Modified 01 Aug 2011 10:55:29 =======
I did. For me I wanted to do a PhD and it was the right thing for me to do. I have no regrets about leaving the job.

I simply put my notice in, explained my reasons (I wanted the challenge fo a PhD, the chance to do innovative research, etc.) and seven weeks later I was a PhD student.

Redundancy was on offer at the time, however, they managed not to pay me that. Firstly, I had something else lined up (the PhD) and secondly, although I claimed the last place to go it coincided with the closure of another factory and transfer of some production to the site I was working at.

However, the writing was on the wall and some time after I left it closed down anyway.

I'll add I'd have still left to do the PhD even if the situation had been more secure as it was a decision that meant so much to me.

Anyways, my blog and take on studying a PhD (based on study in a British Uni.), which may be of help to you.

http://www.wearthesis.talktalk.net/

A

Hi

Congrats on your new position. I took me around 3 weeks to get a bank account opening, but that is just because the people in the bank lost some papers. So it should not be too bad.

Regarding leaving a good job to start a PhD, I did it. I just went to tell my boss personally, and explained that I wanted to leave to get a more challenging position and wanted to do a PhD for myself. He understood, and though he told me he was disappointed he made my life much easier to leave the company (talking to HR, and allowing me to leave without paying any penalties for leaving my contract beforehand). I guess choose the person you want to tell who you think is the best (I did not go to my direct boss, but to his boss, cos I got on better with him and therefore he could smoothen out my departure).

Congrats on the PhD and good luck

N

Hey. thanks for your thoughts. i guess my problem is coming from the fact that i just started said job after quite a long recruitment process. And i am feeling quite sad to be leaving as its a project i would love to work on but for me a funded PhD is more of a priority. It hasn't really helped that i haven't been able to pin my boss down, he is literally in and out of work!! I don't want to send him an email or tell him over the phone. Well, will just have to suck it up and do it.

The last time i was in the UK, it took me 6 weeks to open a bank account as they also lost my paperwork!! i hope this doesn't happen again. around 2 weeks would be fine. its just that systems and regulations change every so often so wanted to know whether the process has been speeded up or slowed down.

Thanks All!

Quote From Ailicec:

Hi

Congrats on your new position. I took me around 3 weeks to get a bank account opening, but that is just because the people in the bank lost some papers. So it should not be too bad.

Regarding leaving a good job to start a PhD, I did it. I just went to tell my boss personally, and explained that I wanted to leave to get a more challenging position and wanted to do a PhD for myself. He understood, and though he told me he was disappointed he made my life much easier to leave the company (talking to HR, and allowing me to leave without paying any penalties for leaving my contract beforehand). I guess choose the person you want to tell who you think is the best (I did not go to my direct boss, but to his boss, cos I got on better with him and therefore he could smoothen out my departure).

Congrats on the PhD and good luck