New Student Seeks Reassurance!

S

Hello, I think there have been many posts like this before, but I’m just seeking a bit of reassurance/others experiences, any you can give would be much appreciated!

I applied for a funded PhD (science) this year at the same uni where I have just finished my undergrad, along with 2-3 others in my class. As there were only a few places, competition was steep, and I was told initially that I was on the shortlist. It was my dream shot, the uni is very prestigious in the area, the supervisor is lovely, and I never really expected to get in. Just before the STFC deadline however I was offered a place as another candidate had dropped out .

Anyway, although I was over the moon to be offered the place, now the dust has settled, doubts & fears are beginning to creep in! In the first place, I only have a 2:1 (high) undergrad, & two of my classmates who applied, had 1st averages...

S

(Continued…) I had some summer research experience and a very high mark for my final year project, though to be honest is seemed at the time like I was making one mistake after the other! I guess I feel guilty that I got in and I don’t understand fully why they didn’t? A recent email sent to the new PhD students made me a bit more scared, as it seems there’ll be students arriving from Oxbridge, so feeling out of my league before I’ve even begun.

I find my subject fascinating, but I’ve struggled with the whole ‘feeling like a fraud’ sensation throughout my degree, I’m guessing this is about to get a lot worse, so how do you keep this feeling under control? Any other tips for maintaining sanity throughout the next few years?

J

Hi! Congrats on your place!
Firstly, if you're on the course then you deserve your place so don't waste time feeling lesser than others because some may be oxbridge grads etc. Secondly, I think a lot of people feel like fraud throghout their phd but you get used to also having to come to terms with the fact that, darn it, you may actually just be good at this! For me personally I am now reaching the end of my second year and still feel like a fraud but no way as much as I did when I started, because I have been encouraged constantly and am getting good marks and feedback... so there is only so long you can stay completely negative. Just stick with it, listen hard, read a lot and enjoy it! You will be fine I am sure. Come to this forum whenever you're stressed...

S

You don't need a first to do a PhD. The problem is that funding is so scarce, especially in some areas, that this is used as a method of screening out applicants. I've known a lot of people do good PhDs with 2.2s - so don't let that worry you at all. The skills are quite different.

A

Congratulations.

I haven't (yet) felt this fraud sensation but I do know it's very common. Now, I think the reason I haven't had this is because I've always classed my PhD as a research job. All my friends, family members etc have (or have had) jobs. That's not scary, that's necessary. I think if you frame it this way, it makes it less scary. Incidentally, when I hear people get places on PhDs I always think, "Wow, I bet they're crazy clever".

A

S

Thanks guys, nice to know others have felt the same! Treating it like a job seems a good idea, will have to train myself to think like that. I'm sure I'll be back on here with various stresses in the future