New student

R

Hello,

I start my PhD next week in the field of microbiology and biomaterials and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences. Preferably, Expectations during the first few months and first meetings with supervisor?

I've known my supervisor for a year (he was my project supervisor as an undergraduate) but i'm feeling really anxious and nervous :$

R

*Bump*

Try not to worry too much, Rahaf_1992. Hopefully someone can offer some advice.

D

You shouldn't worry too much, good think you already know the supervisor!

I would say that the few months you should:

1. establish a good working routine (eg. wake up early, go tot he gym, start working, go home, cook healthy dinner, sleep well). You will soon find which hours you are the most productive, and which routine fits you better. Start timing the hours you do actual work, break bad habits of procrastinating for an hour in the morning before you actually do anything.

2. Make sure you know exactly what is your niche of research, and start reading the literature. Make sure you keep good notes. Literature will help you develop your writing skills and will help you define your research questions

3. Define your relationship with the supervisor. Since relationships are different for different people, I cannot really advice on that more.it is a balance on how much you want your supervisor involved.

4. There are useful courses offered to postgrad students, it is worth attending a few of them.

B

Recommend you get a copy of How to get a PhD by Phillips and Pugh. You may find it helps you think about what to expect and look out for.

W

======= Date Modified 05 Oct 2012 11:42:17 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
I was in a different situation to you and my supervisor often over complicated things. i was recommended a book "how to complete a phd." written by Prof. Standing.

It actually was the only reason i finished my phd. i suggest you buy it if you are serious about doing your phd. have a look for yourself.

*link removed*

H

The best advice I received when I started my PhD was to dive right in. As a Humanities researcher, I had ordered a tonne of books from Amazon and expected to spend the first few months reading around my subject, etc. When my supervisor heard of this, he told me to scrap that and just crack on with the research as it's a great motivator and actually helps shape the literature you'll end up pursuing.

I just had my end of year review to judge whether I can proceed on to my second year, and I was awarded 'exemplary progress' - so it's fair to say the advice was probably right.

Best of luck to you.

K

======= Date Modified 08 Oct 2012 09:01:27 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
My advice would be to just get on with it! Enjoy your every opportunity. Remember there is always a way!!! And someone would have given up heaven and earth just to get into your position.
Katherine

*link removed by mods*