New to forum and new to PhD!

Hi Everyone,

I'm Steph and have recently (this is week 3) started a PhD at Teesside University. It is all a bit bewildering still! And I'm sure I will continue to feel that way for the next 3 years if what everyone says is true! I'm a sociologist at heart, but based in our School of Health as the funding is in place here. The PhD is to examine the working-class experience of death and dying. I share an office with 7 other full-time PhDer's, but they are not in a lot as many work from home. All are in their 3rd year. So looking forward to meeting (and chatting on here) to people in the same boat as me! New and confused!

Also, if anyone has any advice for the early stages, please let me know.

And, can anyone recommend any good books on 'How to do your PhD' type of thing?

H

Hi Steph, a book I can recommend is "How to Get a PhD" by E. Philips and D. Pugh ... already because it focuses on the word “get”. Oh, and do have a look at the “Tips List” started by PhD Bug: http://www.postgraduateforum.com/thread-10400/ . And if you want to know what other forumites are up to, follow the "One Goal Thread" by Sneaks: http://www.postgraduateforum.com/thread-14514/ . Welcome! Heidy :]

Hi Steph,

I'm one of the people who's come out the other end and still pays the occasional visit here (came back here after a mate threatened to do one, also this place has helped me come to terms with a very nasty second post-doc experience).

I created a blog after my PhD to give guidance to new and potential PhD students. Hopefully it will be of help to you with regrad to what you might or might not encounter and also in explaining exactly what a PhD is to friends and family.

For a more humerous look at the PhD experience, you might also look at 'The PhD Game'. This is version 2, based on an original on the Cambridge University website.
Finally, here's to an enjoyable and rewarding PhD experience (though we'll not go into the trials of write-up and viva voce just yet, as you are new and this is still a few years away for you). ;-)

All the best,

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

Thanks for the links to those threads, Heidy! I actually have the Philips and Pugh book. I really like it actually. Been reading the chapter on 'How to manage your supervisors' which has given me some great advice and helped me think about the way to approach that.

Your website looks really interesting, Ian! Thanks for the link! I'm glad this forum is here to chat to others at different stages!