New to the PhD (law) life

C

Hi everyone.

I have received a studentship to start my PhD (law) soon. And I am very new to the world of academia and would like some tips regarding how to get involved in as much as I can (and what exactly can I get involved in).
I've just joined an online research network (that's not a part of the university I will be attending). How do I navigate stuff like this? Do I have to inform my supervisors if I write a blog post for another uni? Attending conferences - how does this work?

If anyone else is pursuing a PhD in law, please let me know of what kind of research and networking activities you do as a part of this?

Thanks

Congrats on the PhD!

I am an engineering PhD student, so not law. Your supervisors will help guide you on these issues but if you want to get involved there usually are plenty of opportunities. I would highly recommend joining the organising committees for PhD conferences (the internal ones), being a student rep (if you have them) and doing at least some teaching. Blog posts are great and universities love them but writing them explicitly for another university might be an issue. Conferences are complicated and it depends on your field. Usually you will want to go to a mixture of local and international conferences to maximise networking. Though the large international conferences usually have long submission deadlines several months in advance and it is good to have a plan of where you want to want submit/when (assuming conferences still happen after the lock down).

C

Quote From rewt:
Congrats on the PhD!

I am an engineering PhD student, so not law. Your supervisors will help guide you on these issues but if you want to get involved there usually are plenty of opportunities. I would highly recommend joining the organising committees for PhD conferences (the internal ones), being a student rep (if you have them) and doing at least some teaching. Blog posts are great and universities love them but writing them explicitly for another university might be an issue. Conferences are complicated and it depends on your field. Usually you will want to go to a mixture of local and international conferences to maximise networking. Though the large international conferences usually have long submission deadlines several months in advance and it is good to have a plan of where you want to want submit/when (assuming conferences still happen after the lock down).

Thank you, this is really helpful! Will keep it in mind. My PhD will only start in January (due to covid) so just trying to keep occupied until then.