New Year New PhD

P

Hi everyone. I started my Phd a few weeks ago and I am already feeling overwhelmed and not sure what I am doing! However I have looked through some of the posts and feel a whole lot better. (Except that I should have been working!) My main worry is that I have changed disciplines from English to Art History. I have been lucky enough to get a studentship as part of a research project. The project is language but I was offered the Art History PhD attached to it. I feel that I know nothing about what I am doing, especially as it's someone else's research. It is interesting stuff but I keep having doubts about whether I can do it. Also I don't know how much time I should be spending at uni, working, reading, auditing classes etc. I'm not really a morning person so find it difficult to get started. One more thing - no-one has said anything to me about a Literature review though I keep hearing about it. What actually does this involve.
Sorry for all the questions but I am so glad I found this forum and expect to be a regular poster!
Pam

S

READ! This will help you familiarise yourself with the subject area and will also help you come up with a lit search. Take notes on everything you do read - your lit review basically outlines the literature already published on your subject area and these notes will form the basis of your review. Oh and good luck!

S

Ditto SK.

The more you read the greater your confidence and the greater your sense of purpose.

If you plan the sections of your Lit Review before reading (i.e. a list of headings and subheadings), it will focus your mind on what is and isn't relevant when you're ploughing through the literature so should keep you focussed.

If you set up EndNote as well at this time, you can begin writing and citing as you read each article. That way, you won't have to re-read them later. The LR can be a bit daunting, so the trick (as my supervisor frequently reminds me) is to do a only a few hours at a time (e.g. every morning), then do something else in the afternoon so you don't get information overload. Good luck!