newbie PhD Student

B

Hi!
I am due to start a Phd Studentship in September and I just wondered if there is anyone else on the forum in the same situation. I'm really excited about starting, but very nervous too, having read some of the experiences on here from current students.

C

Hello! I just got offered a PhD starting at the beginning of October so I'm in the same boat too! I've read a lot on here about peoples problems etc, but I think it's a good thing as going into it knowing there are going to be difficulties means we'll be able to deal with them better when they come along? Maybe? Haha, hopefully at least!

Good luck starting in September and maybe we can share experiences when it starts!:-)

B

Hi Caro,

Yes, at least when we have periods of stress etc we can be reassured that it is perfectly normal and that most PhD students go through it! It's good to know that someone else on here will be starting at a similar time to me and yes, it would be great to share experiences.

Good luck!! :-)

G

Hello, guys.. I also am going to start in september...

Sincerely, there are many posts on this forum which are really terryifing... let's hope..

B

======= Date Modified 19 Mar 2011 11:58:42 =======
Hi Garry00,

Yes, it's pretty scary, but I'm sure we'll be fine. :-)

D

Well done for getting your PhD studentship!  I am almost at the end and can agree that different points along the way have been associated with various feelings ranging from elation to anxiety. These are common to alot of PhDers so you will go though some of these and you will deal with it in your own way.  The forum will always attract posts conveying concerns and worries as this is where anonymous but knowing support can be gained. There are also some very useful posts and others of viva passes etc.

Good luck with your PhD journeys and I am sure some of these posts will be your posts in the not too distant future!

R

Hi Bow,

I'm also due to start a PhD studentship in Sept and I'm also both terrified and excited. I just keep thinking to myself it'll mostly be great after my brain has been dribbling out of my ears for the past 3 years of "grown-up" (boring and mentally unstimulating) work.

Good luck! Where are you going?

I'm sure we will soon venting off on here!
:p

B

======= Date Modified 19 Mar 2011 22:59:32 =======
======= Date Modified 19 Mar 2011 22:24:01 =======

Quote From rinawm:

Hi Bow,

I'm also due to start a PhD studentship in Sept and I'm also both terrified and excited. I just keep thinking to myself it'll mostly be great after my brain has been dribbling out of my ears  for the past 3 years of "grown-up" (boring and mentally unstimulating) work.

Good luck! Where are you going?

I'm sure we will soon venting off on here!
:p

Hi Rinawm,

I did originally write where I will be studying my PhD, but then decided to delete it after being advised that I should maintain a certain amount of anonymity, lol.
:-)