Nine weeks to go!

P

I've got to submit in 9 weeks. I know I should have it all written and just be checking through but I've got so much still to do. Anyone who has finished where were you at two months to go, and any advice and what is the most important thing to do in so little time.

D

How much have you finished, and what do you have left to do?

P

I've written the introduction, methodology chapter, I'm going through the analysis and re-writing the results. It's an art history thesis but with quantitative content analysis of the evidence. I've then written three main qualitative chapters focusing on aspects of the results. Two are fully written but the third needs some more work.

A

======= Date Modified 29 May 2012 07:08:38 =======
If it's not together as one document I would amalgamate it NOW. Work on the chapter that needs finishing but other than that, I would start to think of it as the final and full version. Therefore, ask yourself does it read as a single piece of work rather than the individual chapters you probably still think of it as? You are more likely to spot inconsistencies when it's all together. Think of it from the examiners' point of view - is it coherent?

I worked right up until the final submission and nine weeks is enough time imo, just no time for days off at this stage! Best of luck Pam, keep us informed but you definetly can do it(up)

M

Hi Pam,

You may find this a useful resource http://threemonththesis.com.

Milo

B

Some very good advice already. The only thing I want to add is to say don't leave your conclusions chapter or abstract to the last minute. These are crucial in selling your thesis and your contribution to knowledge. So allow enough time to get them right.

P

Thanks for your replies. I feel a little less panicky! I have it all in a folder so I can see it as one piece of work. Good advice.
Unfortunately I still have to do my job so can't devote all my time to the thesis but I have taken as much holiday as I can so the week is normally free with a few weekends when I have to work till the end of July.

C

Hi PamW, I am pretty much at your stage. Don't panic, last minute can do wonders!! Just hang in there and as others have said take print outs of the whole document and finalise page by page. That is what I am intending to do after I manage to complete the two chapters I am currently working on :-) All the very best (up)

A

Quote From BilboBaggins:

don't leave your conclusions chapter or abstract to the last minute. These are crucial in selling your thesis and your contribution to knowledge. So allow enough time to get them right.

Would agree 100% with Bilbo here; don't underestimate the importance of your conclusion, a good final impression is very important, really spell it out. That's what I did but eh, not until my post viva revisions! Why I didn't just do it first time round I don't know:$

W

======= Date Modified 31 May 2012 09:56:24 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*Removed by PostGrad Forum team - SPAM*

M

Read the article "How to finish your PhD" here http://bit.ly/KYfDjv .