No chance for a PhD?

N

Hey guys,
I'm currently in employment, but really would love to return to university for a PhD. I've applied for a 1+3 PhD in an area of Physics, but I feel so utterly hopeless about my chances. At undergrad I only managed a meagre 2:1. I found the course really difficult, it was at Cambridge and some feel their courses are a bit harder than normal, but admissions tutors only care if you got a first or not no matter where it's from. I have a really good Masters though from another university where I got a really high distinction (85%), but I'm sure it's not going to be enough :(. I have relevant work experience too but it all just feels so hopeless and upsetting.

Any out there feeling similar? :(

A

Hey...I got a 2.1 from a University in another country...nowhere near prestigious as Cambridge...then got a Merit on my MSc which I did whilst working full time. I managed to get a PhD position and am now in my third year. Yes you have to apply to a couple...and don't just depend on 1 position (I think that many would be meant for a particular person who the supervisor knows...so it does not necessary depend on you). Keep applying and u will get there...I eventually got offered 3 positions at the same time (after some months of applying). So it will be OK...if you keep at it you will get there

N

Thanks for your response. I'll keep trying, but it's looking so hopeless :(

I was 2(ii) and Masters (with 5 years works experience) and got onto a PhD some years ago now. I went on to make a success of the PhD itself.

A 2(i), or a 2(ii) plus Masters is the lower end of the bar so to speak for a funded PhD. 2 years relevant works experience will nudge you up a notch and 5 years another.

I've a little on this in my blog about entry standards - see following link.

If you've made the standard, it all depends on how you're able to sell yourself and how you perform in any interview with a potential supervisor.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)