No Job for 5 months (What happened next?)

B

Hi,

About a year and a half ago I wrote a blog post entitled "no job for 5 months". I remember feeling depressed at the time. In my mind I had done all the right things (working hard for my degree and then completing this momumental task that is a PhD). Why then after submitting 300 plus C.Vs did I not have any work? I felt I'd let my wife, child and myself down.

Before I start on the conclusion I would like to mention the previous thread. Nearly every week someone has replied to the original post. I think this topic resonated with so many people.

In the end I was unemployed for 8 months. It almost broke up my marriage, my self esteem was shattered, I was working so hard sending out C.Vs and not getting any responses. I felt isolated and alone and questioned what I had done wrong.

In the end I was employed by a small company 150 miles from my home as a development scientist. During the week I now live locally to my job and at weekends see my family. It has been tough, very tough on my personal relationships. I miss my wife and not being able to read my daughter stories at night. However, there is so much more work In the London area, much more than in my city.

B

I'm now trying to work out what I want from a career. Being in a small company has introduced my to so many roles I had not considered before GMP lab manager, Quality assurance, consultancy. I've also gained transferrable skills for product development which are not dependent on a particular technology.

H

Was reading your other thread and wondered what had happened in the end. Well done for having the perserverance and adaptibility required to transcend your previous condition. Also thanks for sharing your experience. I suppose when you are going through the tough times it is hard to see it ever ending. However you kept going!

After the rain comes the sun.