No reference from your undegrad placement?

C

Hi all.

This is for PhD applications.
I have a plenty of referees from my undegrads who will give me a brilliant references (including lecturer whom I worked with during summers). During my sandwich year I worked hard but my supervisor (although he was happy with me) was really demanding and rarely said anything good to anyone (to all of us, not just me). He is very strict and I am worried that if I will ask him for reference he will write something not as exciting as the other ones would do.
What do I do? Do I put him down anyway? Do I put down the others (including the lecturer I worked with for a good few months?). I just dont want it to look like I have not done a good job because I did. I am just worried his reference will not be as good because the way he is.
What would you do?

T

Ask him for the reference but ask to see it rather than get him to send it directly. You might be surprised by what he puts.

You should always check with your referees anyway before putting them down as a reference.

C

Thanks for your reply.
I thought about this as well but it feels a bit cheeky. It will probably be few references he will do for me (I will check, I am aware of the rule).

I

Quote From TreeofLife:
Ask him for the reference but ask to see it rather than get him to send it directly. You might be surprised by what he puts.

You should always check with your referees anyway before putting them down as a reference.

This is spot on- I would also add that if he/she starts getting reluctant and stutter when you ask if you can see then you know it's not a good sign. Happened to me once.
If I were you put as many as possible and from the way they interact with you you'll get an impression who will write the best reference. Good luck!