Not looking for a PHD

S

I am working on MD thesis in my home country and I am looking for training in some related lab techniques. I have sent letters to a number of Uni's and research centers working on the same field and nobody bothered to answer. I can provide funding locally but only if I have anacceptance letter from a Profeesor abroad. How do I get anyone interested?

J

Sorry to hear you've had no replies. Our international visitors did the same as you: emailed my supervisor and asked for training. What field of science are you in? If I can I'll try to forward your details to a relevant lab in the UK.

M

Hey Sosa,

I've been applying for PhDs, so a bit different, but I've emailed and writeen to some universities and not received replies. If this happens, you can be guaranteed that I won't be applying - if two emails to different peoplein the same department don't get replies, I assume they won't be that botered about me when I'm studying there either.

S

Thanks for replying.
I really should not complain about professors not writing back when it took me well over a week to get back to my own post.
My area of study is genetic epilepsy syndromes. In our lab were we do genetic diagnosis for muscle diseases and hereditary ataxia but our neurogenetician is not sure she can can manage it. I am a clinicain and so do not fully understand the lab procedures. Any suggestions are welcome.

W

Hmmmm im working in the ARC looking at genetic indicators of cardiovascular risk in patients with SLE or RA .....so its sort of epidemiology an genetics ......what exact kind of work is it you want to do?? Ive only just started an have no experience but my department does so may be able to help!

S

I coolrect clinical date on patients with familial epilepsy. There are afew syndomes with a known genetic bgasis so basically we should be checking the relevant genes in patients falling into an already known category. For cases that do not fit, I am not sure what could be done. Maybe search for candidate genes?