Now I have got my PhD in Social Anthropology - at a loss where to go next

M

I realise that this is a common thread however I could do with some advice. I recently finished my PhD in Social Anthropology. My case was unusual in that it took me 30 years start to finish (having returned to writing up 25+ years after fieldwork). As the examiners and many others have noted, this was a great challenge and a great achievement in the end, and it would be nice to finally make some use of the qualification. The examiners encouraged me to publish and return to the field. All this would be great of course, but I am rapidly realising that this is a bit of a pipe dream. As many others have found,getting a postdoc fellowship or even research post is difficult - especially at my age, now 53. So far, I have not even made it to interview on any of the jobs I have applied for which is incredibly disheartening. I have looked at teaching A Level Sociology, but that will require another years qualification and £9,000 which I don't have. Does anyone else have any ideas where I could look or go with this, or do I just write it off as a challenge completed and then try to find ANY job that will take me (as long as I am not overqualified that is!)?

C

I think as you've said that it's difficult for lots of people to get postdoc or research work these days - I've known people of various ages who submitted a lot of applications before they got any interviews. Is there no chance of getting a bit of teaching work at the uni you were attached to in the mean time, to keep up your connection? It's quite an achievement to be able to pick up from where you left off 25 years ago with your PhD, and I hope you're not too disheartened with the job situation!

M

Thanks chickpea. They never offered any teaching work and I live a way away - I've been on maintenance status for years. Unfortunately I also have minimal access to journals/books so writing articles from my PhD research is problematic also. I am trying hard to think around this and am wondering about any other ways of using the PhD somehow

C

Are you including supervisors as co-authors and if so, can they get access to the journals for you? Have you looked at things like the OU associate tutor jobs? I hope you find something soon.

M

Thanks chickpea: yes I have - though nothing at the OU for me at the moment. Have been working causally at a local uni and have approached them for research/ teaching work in the Sociology department - however, in all honestly my CV does not look very exciting for any employer as I spent years as a 'trailing spouse' and the rest of my time working freelance as a journalist/copy editor and as a temp in admin. Reading through some of these threads I am really wondering if academia is the way to go for me - it just seems to be the best way to make use of the PhD research. I shall keep on looking and thinking, but at my age time is just getting shorter and shorter!

S

I'd love to teach A level sociology. But that's me.

My thing with the teacher training fees is that you only pay it back if you earn enough anyway so at first I was scared of it (for years!) but now I see it as the difference between being in the running for a job I actually want to do or not. I'm looking into doing teacher training for FE beginning Sept 16.

I've digressed a bit with this reply but I still feel that the world is your lobster and congratulations on your achievement :)

T

If you don't mind more commercially oriented work, there is a lot of demand for ethnographers in the market research industry right now - not sure if the age would be an issue, but if you can profile yourself as some kind of consultant, that may help getting into academia too.good luck!

M

Thanks - I am really open to all kinds of suggestions. I would love to use anthropology in whatever I do and market research is a good idea. I am unfamiliar with it however I shall do some research, thanks thxht. Also spidermanspiderman, I am applying for a Sociology lectureship at a local college of technology who say they provide training, so we shall see!