Number of references in a PhD thesis?

Z

Im currently writing-up and my endnote says i have 356 references for my 80,000-word PhD. Just out of curiosity (and fear that i dont have enough!), how many have others cited by the time theyve reached the end? whats the average? (mine's a qualitative study, which may or may not make any difference).

E

I'm qualitative and, doing a rough calculation, my final thesis has around 280 references - so less than you! Now I hope I have enough!!

A

I'm doing an computer science PhD and my institution has a maximum of 50000 words (as opposed for 80000 for humanities). Looking at 5 example PhDs I have, they average about 130 (though one has 350).

Its not about how many, but whether you have made your point. There is a danger that they might ask you a question on a reference that you might not have read.

S

It does vary a lot by topic. Mine is interdisciplinary and very heavy on the referencing - I'm trying to cut it back a bit from around 500. I really doubt I will remember much about them even if I've read them!

P

How weird.. I did a computer science one and mine came in at 87,000 - Max was 90,000... arts had 130,000 to play around with! I think I had about 350 references in total...

A

PC_Geek - the documentation states that references and appendices aren't counted - maybe that is why?

I hope I'm right! I would be gutted to find that another 40000 words are expected! I think its because a lot of 'science' PhDs at my University (Bham) are experiment based, as opposed to humanities, so a lot of background work is expected to have taken place that wouldn't necessarily be written in full detail - eg I'm sure I have several tens of thousands of lines of code, but I wouldn't include that.

H

I've read somewhere that you are expected to reference 50 books and 150 articles.
Good luck.

S

I am doing a qual too (heavy political theory), and it depends on your approach. I am focusing on four authors and how their work contrasts/complements so referencing is relatively high, but the number of works is actually quite low. I normally get only 100 pieces of work, but around 500 references.

P

'PC_Geek - the documentation states that references and appendices aren't counted - maybe that is why?'

Different Unis, different rules... including my appendicies and references it comes to 98,500

I imagine yours will be more concise than mine.. mine was a lot of waffle

M

I just finished two chapters (1&2) and had 50 and 52 references in them.