Off site backup

J

Just a reminder that we should make sure we backup our work to an off site device (online or external drive which is kept away from main work).

My husband and son came home yesterday and disturbed burglars who ran off with son's laptop and husband's camera. Fortunately no one one hurt but it made me think. I usually back my phd work to an external drive but often leave that plugged into my netbook which means if I hadn't taken it with me (and I usually don't) they could have taken everything.

S

Goodness, that's a (necessary, but) chilling post. brrrr.

U

Glad everything was ok. Horrid thing to come home to.

Whilst we're on the subject, can anyone recommend reliable (and cheap/free) online storage sites?

C

Hey Jepson,

I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm glad no one was hurt and that the damage is minimal. There are truly some sick individuals who think nothing better than causing stress to other people.

I recently posted about back-up (http://www.postgraduateforum.com/threadViewer.aspx?TID=15799) and I think most people mentioned Dropbox as an online back-up tool.

Best wishes
CBx

J

Thanks for the suggestion CB. I've jsut been looking at various options have have found I can get 25G on my university outlook account so I think I am going to try that.

Not too much damage but even that there is will need sorting - at the moment the backdoor has been secured but planks of wood across the window are not very attractive. Wall needs replastering where the door frame came away from the wall. Main thing is that no one wa shurt, my son isn't traumatised and all the photos (apart fomr one which can be recreated) have been backed up