Offered a phd - should I take it?

L

Hi,
I just finished my undergraduate degree in Zoology this summer. I have always planned to do a phd but didn't think I should do it straight away because I am not completely certain what subject I would like to do it in - something to do with the evolution of sex/breeding systems... I applied to be a research assistant for a lab run by my dissertation superviser a couple of weeks ago to get some experience whilst I thought about what phd to do. However, the lab superviser has subsequently asked me if I would like to do a phd for her instead, as she thinks that being an assistant would be a waste of time.

I kind of think that it is a good idea to take it because the research is quite interesting, along the lines of what I had pondered doing before, and I really get on with the superviser (which I gather is really important), the lab is nice etc, but I also think that taking it may not be a good idea because I haven't done anything to look elsewhere, there may be an even better phd somewhere else...

Also, I have heard that doing a phd at the same uni as your undergrad is frowned upon - is that true?

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated! Is it really important to have a subject that you really love and are have thought about for ages or is it ok just to go for one that kind of suits?
Thanks!
Jenni

M

Hi there,

Go for a subject that you will be able to tolerate for 3/4 years (or maybe longer). If you already have doubts about the subject area then seriously consider whether this is right for you.

Also, you don't mention if you're funded or not? Does this PhD offer come with a good funding package?

"Also, I have heard that doing a phd at the same uni as your undergrad is frowned upon - is that true?"

I've never heard this before. Basically, you go to the uni that most suits your needs for a PhD. If anything, staying at your UG uni shows that you are liked and they want to keep you.

S

sometimes it actually helps if your PhD is not so close for you. sometimes doing a PhD can be like "being married to" the PhD. it is very intimate and the relevance of the PhD for you becomes enormous. then it is very hard to keep some emotional distance and realistic perspective. it is hard to treat it as a job!
but treating it as a job often helps. maybe consider the same things as you would with a "normal" job. would you take a job contract for 3-4 years knowing already on day one that you will be bored to death by 6 months? probably you wouldn't, unless you were desparate. but would you take such a job, knowing that there will be some awful times, some boring times, but also some phases of satisfaction, and generally speaking, you would feel quite content doing the work? unless you were hoping for a "perfect" job (usually not very realistically), you would probably take it.
so, i would say no, you do not need to be "in love" with your topic in order to do a succesful PhD. with more distance and perspective, it might actually be easier. however, you should consider that you will need a long breath. if it is not going to give you ANY satisfaction, it will be very hard to keep going for 3-4 years!

good decision making!(up)

T

My old UG supervisor said he would love to offer me a PhD but he thought you should gain experience working with different people, more contacts etc. I also think he didn't like my old University very much.

P

hi there,
sounds like a great opportunity but remember a PhD is 3+ years of very hard slog and commitment and you need to be absolutley sure you are doing it in a subject you want. not only because you are more likely to stick to it but also because your topic will probably determine which research you are able to get into after you have finished. hard decision but at least you have plenty of options at the minute :-)

B

Dont do it. PhD is bottom. Waste of time and money.

B

======= Date Modified 02 Oct 2008 12:22:37 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============

B

======= Date Modified 02 Oct 2008 12:22:54 =======

B

======= Date Modified 02 Oct 2008 12:23:49 =======

B

======= Date Modified 02 Oct 2008 12:23:30 =======

B

======= Date Modified 02 Oct 2008 12:23:09 =======

V

Why not search this site (which is the whole point of it) and then you'll see if there's anything that interests you more.