Oh dear my supervisor has gone on holiday without giving me feedback!

P

My previous review panel went badly as my lit review was torn to shreds. I have my next panel in three weeks and I really wanted to make sure that the chapter I was working on was as perfect as I could get it. I've worked really hard and had some initial feedback from my supervisor and re-wrote a lot of it and added more research I'd done. We arranged I would e-mail it to her this week and she would send me feedback before she went on holiday this afternoon. But she has gone without doing this. I have to send it to panel members before she gets back and even though I have a meeting with her before the panel it will be too late to do anything about the work I have submitted. I really wanted to be more prepared this time. This is just one of my rants I suppose as there is nothing I can do about it.

T

well, if she is on holiday, there is nothing you can do.. most people don't respond to work emails during holidays. Is there any other people you can turn for help?

J

It is annoying: have you noticed how so many staff members "need" holidays, but apparantely us students don't?

P

I have a second supervisor who is head of the project I an working on. She is also on the review panel. I feel sort of as if I am going behind my supervisors back if I contact someone else but that is daft really I know. If she didn't fulfil her promise then I have to look at other options.

J

My university currently resembles ghost town in the sky, North Carolina.

There is nobody, expect some cleaners and security guards. August is holiday time for academics, it seems.

J

Same here: everyone's away. Every time I think "Ooh, I may take a few days off next week", some sod gives me a load of samples to test. Grrr.

B

pamw: It is clear that you are in a bit of a fix. Try to contact your supervisor somehow (even if it is a 2 minute phone call) to state that you will be e-mailing what you have done to date and the final article when ready. Maybe she "forgot" and surely a few minutes to clarify a few of the more important details isn't asking too much. Worst case scenario, get someone to review the work, even as a proofreading exercise. Once this is all done, take a holiday for yourself!

WTF would all the supervisors do if we decided to take our breaks in the middle of the term - who would they get to do the tutorials and labs then?

J

I don't think it's the middle of the term right now. But even then, supervisors are entitled to take time off without checking emails or answering phone calls.

But they should keep their promises and write legible

P

Bonzo, I have done this already and she acknowledged my e-mail in which I sent my draft chapter, but then no feedback. Her e-mail is now an out of office reply and I cannot telephone her. I think I will contact my second supervisor and ask if she is able to give me any feedback if she has time (I know she has just come back from her holiday so should be able to get hold of her) There are a couple of post-docs on the project but they are working in a different area to me but I could try them, so there are other options.

P

I agree people have a right to holidays but if you promise to do something important before you go then don't it's not really very professional. It is causing me major stress, as I have no idea whether what I have done is what the panel wants and I now have to go in 'blind' as it were to defend my work.

B

Well at least contact the second supervisor. I honestly do think that you should ring your primary supervisor - it might be a bit akward but this is pivotal towards your success. An besides is it not in her best interest to make sure one of her students progresses? Make no bones about it, if it was something the other way about, they would contact you. Go to admin and get her home ph.# (or ask them to contact her for you).
To put perspective on this - this is causing YOU stress while someone else clearly did not do their duty. It would be better to have a pi**ed off supervisor over ringing her on holidays than to fail a progress exam and having the self-righteous Big ITCH criticise ya then. Sorry for this, but you are either
a. Too considerate
b. Forgetting that it is her duty to examine your work. If this was a "real-life" situation, there would be hell to pay if someone did that.

P

Thanks Bonzo, I'm going to kick ass now and not be too considerate. She has failed in her duty as a supervisor - end of story!

B

Pamw - didn't mean anything personal in the last post. It happens all the time that people are contacted on holidays so why should academics be any different? Speaking from my own experience, no matter how difficult things can be at times, my supervisor would be livid if I was in a similar situation and didn't at least have a 5-10 minute discussion over the finished article.
At the college here, we have the external contact details of our supervisors and have used it in the past to clear up problems.
Whatever you decide to do, let us know and remember that ya have at least this group of fellow PhD'ers (Pretty Hard Difficulties) to support ya.
Sorry all - rant over ... FOR NOW!

B

Last word (sorry ... taxi already outside though).
It goes without saying - Be diplomatic (but firm). I'd even go so far as apologising for not making the meeting y'day (We all know the truth but hey, feed the ego!) and then arranging that you will send on the article for at least a quick check, giving a few days heads up. A bit of humble pie on the phone and be prepared for the whole "Oh I'm away" spiel. If she is adamant that she won't look at it, then ask her what to do.
Keep the boat afloat and keep us updated.

T

i think you are free to contact other supervisor(s) or colleagues when your main supervisor cannot be reached. so just go ahead, don't worry too much.