Other Commitments

T

Just wondered what other people's other commitments are and how they balance their PhD/studies around them... I'm currently teaching 6 hours a week (not at uni - local college Access and BTec Business Courses). It doesn't require a great deal of planning (very much portfolio based work) but some marking obviously. I'm also doing a part time PGCE in post-compulsary education... It's a requirement of my part time teaching hours and takes up an evening a week (and a weekend once a month to get reading done)... Is this too much? I'm in a fair bit of debt so not working unfortunately isn't an option...

I am single, don't have kids (so save time that way)... Don't drink - too much - and my leisure activities are usually centred around going to watch football every other weekend, working out and going to the cinema.

T

I think there's a broad spectrum on here peckster. Some have kids, jobs and full time parakeet care, others of us are fancy-free. I don't teach but do some voluntary work and some work experience for my own interest, I also have a p/t step-child and a husband with a bizarre work schedule which adds to the fun :-)

I think the only way to judge your own set-up is by whether it works for you. If you get your PhD work done, your sup is happy and you aren't burnt out then great. There's no one size approach to these things so as long as you feel ok, I wouldn't worry.

N

======= Date Modified 03 Dec 2009 22:36:26 =======
I'm not doing a PhD yet, next year hopefully but I'm doing a full time MSc this year (social sciences), I work 20 hrs a week as a receptionist in a hairdressers, and I own a horse that is on DIY livery (I am responsible for all of his care). I am really busy and to be honest frequently feel like I am burning out, but I just get on with it by reminding myself that I am very lucky to be doing something that I love and that hopefully I will be able to develop into a career. I don't get to go out with my friends as much any more and that can be a bit disappointing sometimes, but I know that my lifestyle is totally my choice so I get on with it. I am tired and poor, but in a good way if that makes sense.

I just try to be disciplined and to manage my time as best I can, but also to give myself time off. I ride my horse 5-6 days a week which is a great stress-reliever, and he is another project for me which I find really rewarding, but obviously in a totally different way to my MSc. I thrive by having multiple tasks to do, but my MSc will always come first.

P

I recently went part-time because various family stuff and threat of redundancy for my partner meant I had to get a part-time job. So I work part-time in a museum, but I have also got freelance work, I have just finished a 10-week teaching course at evening class. I do a volunteer job (when I have time), I teach at my uni, and I have step-children (teenage) to deal with. I also live 150 miles away from my uni so spend a lot of time travelling (not every day!). I'm trying to build up my CV so I can get a job when I have finished so I go on courses every now and then to improve my skills in the sector I want to work in. I moan all the time that I am too busy but if I have some spare(!) time I always find something to fill it with. If I take a step back I realise that even though I am doing so much it is all interesting, fulfilling and challenging stuff that I enjoy and I have chosen to do so I don't have any reason to complain really.

J

Hi Peckster,

I'm in a similar (if different) position to you. I'm in my third year of my PhD, currently writing up. In my first 2 years I worked in a therapist role for 14 hours per week, which I gave up for my third year to focus on the PhD. I'm also doing a PGCE in Higher Education Teaching, which takes up at least 1 day a week. My evenings are taken up doing the sport I love as I'm training for a very big event, which means most of my weekends are also taken up doing this, and the rest of my time is spent with friends, family and my long suffering boyfriend. Generally I find this ok. I'm not behind on my work (much) and I seem to be able to fit everything in, most of the time. There are 24 hours in everyday afterall!

But I have to admit it can get to me at times because theres very little space for "me" time and it's a bit overwhelming. I think you'll be ok with what you're doing, as long as you're confident it's not too much. I like having lots to do, so in a way my busy schedule suits me but I know if it ever started impeding on me getting my PhD done I'd have to cut down, because that's my priority at the moment.

Good luck with it all!:-)