overseas student apply PhD with my own project or available funded project?

I

Hello, I am an overseas student and I am now applying PhD in the UK. I graduated with MSc Marine Engineering (Distinction for both dissertation and overall) from Newcastle University. I got BEng in Marine Engineering from my country with GPA 3.2/4.0 (quite low, but it is the second highest of the class, the highest is 3.3/4.0). In my MSc course at Newcastle, I also studied the preliminary year programme in the first year which is equivalent to the final year of undergrad degree and I got 71%. I also have 2 year work experience as a marine engineer onboard ship.

It has been 2 months that I emailed to potential supervisors (around 12 Uni) who have the same research interests as me,but only one replied that my proposal was interesting but no funding offer. I searched for available funded projects, but most of them for UK/EU and have very few projects that match my area of focus. I think, the problem is that my MSc dissertation focuses on electrical systems (Electric ship), while the nature of Marine Engineering is Mechanical Engineering. If it is that case, I will have problems to apply PhD everywhere as my focus area is always in the department of electrical engineering in every university I applied. I also emailed to some supervisors in Europe, but still got no reply.

From this situation, is it possible for me do PhD with my own project and get funding? or I should apply available funded project which I think very hard for overseas students like me.

Thank you very much.

T

It's very difficult to get funding for PhDs in the UK unless you are a UK/EU student.

Pretty much the only way is to apply to funded programmes that states worldwide applications are accepted.

The problem is likely not so much with your project, but just that universities don't have funding for you.

Is it possible your government could fund you? That's your best chance. The vast majority of non-UK/EU students in the UK are funded by their governments or employers.

I

Thank you very much. It is not possible for me to apply PhD scholarship from government as I already got scholarship to study MSc (no one can apply scholarship twice). It seems I need to wait for a funded programme for worldwide that match my interest or try to apply in Europe.

B

I have a same problem. I am also an overseas student. I applied to several UK universities and contacted with potential supervisors. Two supervisors really interested in my research, however there is no funding is available at the Uni, I have to find the funding for my research. My interested area is Population health and health services research. It seems majority of the funded projects are usually only for UK/EU students. For me it is really hard to find a funding. For the last 1.5 year I spent a lot of time to find a funding. However, I am still keep trying to find a funded projects and other sources. I wish you good luck.

S

hi, here is an example of funding for non UK/EU applicants, maybe you can find something?
love satchi

I

Dear B108, thank you for sharing, you have been finding for 1.5 year, I wish you good luck and get funding very soon.

Dear satchi, Thank you very much for your information, I will have a look on your link :)