Panic: any help much appreciated

T

Hi,

I have my viva a week on Friday. I am alternately feeling total and utter panic, a slightly sick feeling and excitement at the end being nigh (for better or worse).

I am absolutely convinced I have failed. My supervisor has told me they wouldn't bother with a viva if my thesis was as bad as I think it is.

I know there are many threads on this but I just wondered if anyone had any more words of advice or some kind of technique for avoiding completely losing my marbles before next week? Also the pass criteria seem to be a bit vague, does anyone have clarification on exactly what counts as "original contribution"?

Thank you so much for any help, it is very much appreciated.

D

Be guided by your supervisors as it's unlikely they'd have let you submit unless they believed you would pass. Many more pass their viva than fail it and so try to remember that.

'Original contribution' = what makes your research that bit different to other research in the field. It doesn't have to be very big, just something that makes your research slightly distinctive. Just think, what is original or that bit different about your research? Did you use a different methodology, a novel questionnaire, put forward or answered any novel research questions?

Try to calm down as this will help you focus.

Good luck!

S

I had my viva this week so I am living proof you can survive it!!

I felt exactly the same as you beforehand - utterly convinced my thesis was rubbish, I would definitely fail, and that my supervisors had let me submit a terrible thesis! I tried lots of methods to keep me calm, but the only thing that really helped was doing ridiculous amounts of preparation so that I knew my thesis inside out, had read all of the important literature, and was up to date with stuff that had been published since I submitted. I also tried to visualise myself coming out of the viva having passed, in an attempt to make myself project an image of confidence even if I didn't feel it.

You have to remember that no supervisor would let you submit a thesis that they didn't believe in. Also, if you go into the viva only feeling panic, you won't do yourself justice, so you need to try your best to stay calm so that you can show yourself and your thesis off to the best of youe ability. The viva, believe it or not, is not meant to be some horrific ordeal, but a chance for you to discuss your work with some experts and help them to understand it better.

Deep breaths, and best of luck!!!

PS. forgot to say, I passed with minor corrections so I was way off the mark with all my negative thoughts about my thesis, and I'm sure you are too!

H

Hi Tilly, The only advice I can add is this: Listen carefully during your viva. Just so you don't answer a question that they did not even ask and thus either talk yourself "into trouble" or waffle from their point of view. The mind can play funny tricks on us when we are nervous so do take the great advice by Delta and Smoobles to heart. Good luck! Heidy

D

I also recommend knowing your thesis inside/out and having a look for any new published articles related to your work. You will know your thesis better than the examiners as you wrote it! As for settling the panic, I would recommend doing very little the night before and getting some sleep. Being refreshed rather than tired will be of benefit. If you try cramming the night before you risk overloading your mental capacity. Try not to focus on perceived failures/awkward situations in the viva, rather focus on something later ie leaving the viva, going out later that day etc. So everytime you think about the negatives and panic, you are calming yourself by refocusing on a pleasant (non stressful) later event instead. Hopefully this will desensitise the viva and stop you focusing on what probably won't happen!! Otherwise, deep breathing helps reduce the adrenaline.

The subject of original contribution is a rather debated one. For most PhD students it feels like it should be a ground breaking einstein moment worthy of a nobel peace prize, but reality shows that it is a very small finding/approach/method modification that no-one else has done before. Obviously there is always a worry that it could have been done previously but we just haven't found it in the literature. That said if the lit review is conducted thoroughly then it probably has not been published before.