Panic

P

I received an offer of AHRC funding for my PhD around a month ago.
For a variety of personal reasons, as well as the stress created by the funding process (which are in fact linked as I suffer from an anxiety disorder) my Masters thesis performance was not as good as was expected.
I was advised by my sup that my place was 'very close' to not being given as there had been a stipulation on my offer that a gain over a certain grade on my masters thesis. In fact, my offer letter said I needed over a certain averge (not thesis grade) which was easily met as I had marks in the late 80s and 90s. Anyway, my sup advised me that 'he thought' it was all resolved.
I've just been to collect my first cheque and I was advised that there had been 'a dispute' with the funding council and graduate office, but not of the nature of this. When I tried to get into the library my ID card wouldn't work and when I attemped to log on to the software graduates are supposed to us my ID wouldn't work.
I am now very stressed and concerned regarding my place and status, and when (or if) I will receive any money. I am currently on the financial edge and so if this isn't sorted soon I'm stuffed. Also, I now feel as though I wasn't worthy to receive funding.
I can't find anyone who's available in my Uni to talk to about any of this and I just don't know what to do.

G

University admin departments are rubbish Pamplemousse....I've had similar problems, and like you get very anxious when things like this are out of my control. If were you I would contact the AHRC, ask to speak to the admin officer who is reponsible for your Uni and ask them whats going on. Words like 'dispute' are banded around all to easily for my liking. I was in 'dispute' with my finance department for kindly notifying them that the AHRC would be paying them fees! Its crazy, and yes it causes problems with enrolment etc but you must bang some heads together! Contact AHRC first, then your grad office demand answers and be proactive.

R

If you got a definite offer from the AHRC and you accepted it, then it sounds more likely that there's an administrative mix up between your uni and the AHRC. Have you tried first ringing the AHRC to check that they're done whatever they have to do to transfer the money to your college, and then chase up your uni admin people when you've got definite details about money being transferred, what dates it went off or whatever? Then you would know where the problem lies.

Enrolment and funding is a bureaucratic process, and sometimes we have problems with students funded externally who take a few weeks longer than self-funded ones to get fully enrolled on the uni system, because of all the stages that have to be completed in the whole process. This frequently means that they get some computer glitch when trying to login or get a library card, as there's something flagged up on their computer record that says they're not properly enrolled. In these cases, it's nothing critical, apart from the money being slow to come through to our uni admin. It just slows things down and creates stress!

Try not to worry until you know more - you might be imagining dreadful things that really aren't the case. If you got funding, then your work is obviously well thought of by a number of people, regardless of whether your offer was 'close' or not - you got it, so well done!