Panic !

G

I've just moved to start my PhD this past week. Everything was going great, but now I'm seriously questioning what the hell I'm doing here. I haven't exactly bonded with my officemates whereas everyone else has, I've been given some papers to read and they all look gobbledegook, my housemates are great but we are starting to get on each others nerves and now I think I've got freshers flu !

Anyone else feeling equally overwhelmed ? I'm sure everything will be fine, just want to know I'm not the only one...

G

I feel overwhelmed and I don't start till monday.

G

Hi,
i'm sorry that you're feeling like this already. I was lucky when i started my PhD as everyone was friendly and made me feel welcome. If the people that you work with aren't like that it may take a bit longer. If other new people have started they might be feeling the same, even if it appears they are fitting in well, so maybe try telling them how you feel. I think what you should just try and calm down and wait and see what happens.

G

Yeh I'm feeling totally out of my depth too - it is all too new and you're not sure what is expected of you!! there are a few new PhD students starting with me but they are all in a totally different department and totally different subject to me so I am all alone in regards to PhD students. It is so scary!!

G

Just shag everyone, it will be ok then

G

Well since my original post I've calmed down a bit and started to get excited again. I think we all go through this worry. And if all else fails, at least I have other friends here outside my department (which is probably healthy anyway).

G

Anon!
You scared me :( I wanna start my PhD next year, but I think I need to check what the hell I'm trying to do :)Only joking... Hope everything will be okay for you and us... Don't panic...