Part time or full time PhD - a difficult decision.

A

I graduated with my undergrad degree in 2014 and i have recently gotten myself my first graduate job at the uni as a technician (my degree is in computer science) this job pays a good income for my age but doesn't have much room for promotion. I used to do some casual teaching at the uni and i enjoyed this so part of me thinks i should strive for a lecturing position, which would be more stimulating, pay more and have room for promotions and development. The problem is that i'll need a PhD.

Therefore, if i decide that this is the route i want to take (an academic career vs an industry career) i could either attempt my PhD part time at my current establishment, for free: which i think will be very difficult to do or, i could apply for studentships, resign from my job and do the PhD full time, for 3-4 years with a stipend (of about 15k) at a different uni. This would allow me to get extra teaching experience and earn my PhD at a different uni from my undergrad working within an innovative department with some well known researchers in my field. The downside would be giving up my current job security, pension etc and losing about 8k (post tax) per year.

I figure however, that my chance of success is far higher with FT vs PT PHD and that i would then be well qualified for a number of academic positions as well as more alined for any industry positions i decided to go for. Presumably the higher starting salary and room for growth and promotion with he PHD would allow me to make back to 32k loss from my studies.

Can anyone offer some thoughts or opinions on my situation and what they think would be my best course of action?

Much appreciated

A

T

Hi, A. Do think carefully about whether you want to pursue an industry of academic career as the requirements are very different. For the industry, work experience is the key. Qualifications and publications (essential for academic route) are advantageous, but secondary to someone who has the experience to make up for it. If you want lecturing, then yes, PhD is important. And if you can get some decent publications, great, you should be ok to find lecturing jobs. Bear in mind, there is always the possibility that you have to move to a different city, state, or country for academic jobs. May be a good point to read all the blogs out there on why you should do or not do a PhD as well, just to hear both sides of the story. For eg. there are plenty of unemployed PhD out there. Do you know that? But there are also the few that make it big, becoming Profs and so on.

What you don't want is to complete a PhD, decide that you don't want an academic career, then find that you are overqualified but underexperienced for the industry role that you are after. It is not impossible to cross over to the industry at that stage, especially if you have years of non-academic industry experience to use as leverage, but, if you don't, well, it will be difficult.

For career progression, you can talk to career advisor at the uni or enroll in staff development programs. Have a look at job ads (besides technician) for your area with your degree, perhaps those that need more experiences, so you know what you can possibly achieve in future if you stick to your current route. Take your time to think about your career path, industry vs academic, Phd vs your current degree, etc.

Good luck.