Part-Time or Online PhD?

A

Hi there,
I'm new to this forums and this is my first post....
I want to pursue a PhD but am having a hard time finding out how to do it without quitting my job and studying full-time.
I have a BS degree in Aviation and am currently in Airline Pilot. I do have a considerable amount of time off...however, the time off is extremely irregular and unpredictable. This seems to be a big problem when I try to work out a part-time school schedule at a college, as I'm not able to reliably say I'll be on campus every Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, etc. So I'm left with tons of free time that gets squandered away. I could be working towards something productive if I could only find out how to get started.
I found some online programs, like Walden University, but I'm not sure how this institution is viewed in academia (I want this PhD so that I can teach at a college when I'm either furloughed or retired from the airline).
Three questions I have are:
1) Is there a way that someone like myself could get a PhD part-time (perhaps online)
2) What is the attitude towards institutions such as Walden University and how practical would having a PhD from there be (I do understand that Walden is accredited, but just being accredited doesn't mean it's going to get you anywhere when you graduate).
3) Assuming that traditional "brick and mortar" schools have higher levels of credibility, are there ANY such schools that offer a PhD program online (or mostly online)? preferably a BS to PhD program (no Masters degree prerequisite)
Thanks so much everyone in advance!