Pensions and savings

I realise that this topic could be seen as taboo by some (not sure why, but that's the way it is). Anyway, I'm coming up to a birthday in my late 20s, and was thinking about starting a pension, but I haven't a clue where to begin. Does anyone have any tips regarding this, or regarding not putting money into a pension but putting it elsewhere? I'm also concerned that potentially doing a postdoc abroad for 3 or so years could cause problems with this, so in addition, if you have any experience of this, could you let me know?

Thanks!

S

Moving abroad can affect your state pension (according to my Dad who lived in Australia for 8 years, but it may have changed).  It's all to do with National insurance stamps apparently! I don't think it has a massive effect though. In terms of a private pension, I can't advise you really.  I had one with my old job (before coming back to uni) but I'm now doing nothing towards my pension.

After seeing a family friend have his pension scheme collapse and have to work for an additional 5 - 10 years because of it, I'm inclined to try something else, but like you I haven't a clue what!

So I've not been massively helpful :p

Good luck!