Perfect PhD slipping through my fingers help!

S

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but I need help! Basically, I hadn't completely 100% made up my mind to do a PhD until a couple of months ago, leaving it way too late for October 2010 start I know. However, my absolute dream department to do a PhD with still had 1 place going, which I immediately applied to. Its a 4 year Phd, so you don't choose your project until the end of the 1st year, but spend that first year doing training and mini projects. I know exactly which supervisor I would want to do my main project with though, and have been in contact with her.

However, I heard back yesterday saying that due to massive amounts of competition I hadn't been shortlisted. Trying not to be absolutely gutted - I do know how competitive places are at the moment - I'm trying to stay positive and figure out my next move, obviously, applying this October to start October 2011.

My problem is this - this project, and the field I want to move into, is more medical genetics based (trying not to give too much away here!) while I have always been more evolutionary genetics .. same techniques, but obviously not same context, and I'm worried that this is what let me down. I have tons of experience - for undergrad did a year work placement, and did a lab-based final year project, and am currently doing a MRes.

I'm now debating emailing the supervisor I would love to work for (the department also does 3 year PhDs where you can directly go into the project), and ask them directly what I can do to make myself a stronger candidate - should I get a job in a medical field for a year, or should I ask for some work experience in the exact field (god knows how I could afford that though, after being wiped clean by my MRes!). BUT, is emailing this supervisor again, and directly asking this person for help .. is this looking borderline nagging and harassing?! I genuinely just want advice as to where to go from here, but I don't want to be hated by this supervisor before even applying again!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) thanks xx

B

I don't think emailing the supervisor in the way you've described would be nagging. It's a reasonable question, you want to improve your chances in future, and are seeking their advice.

So, basically, do it!

Good luck!

P

What Bilbo said :)

I think a lot of people are fine with being asked for, and giving out, feedback. It's a reasonable request. So long as you're not emailing them everyday you'll be fine!

I recently had a job interview and missed out and I asked for feedback. It can take a little while for them to get back to you but so long as you're patient and polite they seem happy to do it.

A

I'd also say go for it, just email asking is there anything you can do in particular to improve your chances for next year as it's something you are genuinely interested in pursuing. Just looks like you are very dedicated, rather than harassing! Good luck!!

E

I think it would be fine to send a polite email to the supervisor - you'll hopefully get some useful advice, plus it shows that you're genuinely interested in working in this particular department. It sounds like you're well qualified, as you say you probably just left it a bit late for this year.

Also maybe keep an eye out for other opportunities - I didn't get my initial first choice of PhD studentship, and felt like that was the end of everything, but came across another which actually was even better and an absolutely perfect fit for my background and what I want to do. And if I'd got that first one I wanted, I'd never have even found out about the better one. So things can work out like that.

Good luck anyway!

L

I'm currently on a 4 year programme. They are extremely competitive, so if there's only one place left I wouldn't feel terrible about not getting shortlisted! Most only interview people who have or are predicted Firsts too.

For 4 yr PhDs the whole point is that you don't know exactly what you want to do for a PhD so are looking for experience in a range of projects, sometimes within a particular field eg-metabolic disease, and other times within a broader range of topics, say molecular biology. It sounds as if you know what you want to do already so that might be one reason you didn't get shortlisted. Also with many programmes, there are rules on how many students a supervisor can take, and how many years in a row they can take students. Basically, if you did get on the programme there is absolutely no guarantee you would be able to work with one particular supervisor.

If I were you I'd forget getting work experience in hope of getting on the programme next year and instead get in touch with your supervisor of choice expressing an interest in her work. I doubt she'd see it as nagging- most supervisors are only too happy to take on keen and enthusiastic students!

S

Hi guys, thank you all for your very helpful responses! I have been reading them but haven't been able to reply thanks to some bug on my computer :s
anyway! I emailed the PI I would like to work for, and they forwarded it to someone who could give me some constructive advice ..

basically, i was top of the reserve list - which made me feel a lot better - and exactly like you just said, Lsc35, I would be much better off applying directly for the 3-year scheme as, with all my current qualifications and knowledge I am actually overqualified for the 4-year PhD! So yes, I feel much better :) thanks everyone for convincing me to ask!!

I think I'm going to work for a year, get some money and then reapply next year. From what it sounds like I'm a good candidate, so fingers crossed...!

Thanks again!