Pesticides

J

This might be OT, but does anybody know anything about pesticides. The reason I'm asking, I observed council workers the other day spreading pesticide fluid generously on a public path and then discharging the canisters in the nearby lake. Surely, this will then somehow enter the drinking water, or am I wrong?

Should councils even use pesticides in the year 2008? Or am I being paranoid?

T

Its not like every pesticide is so strong its going to kill you and leave your children with two heads, but yeah it doesn't sound a great idea to pour it into a water course. I suppose it depends how much, how frequently they do it, and if it rained recently or if water levels were low (to dilute). Sounds like time to write an angry letter to the council ;-)

Interestingly, even organic food has a list of approved pesticides that can be used (some of which are artificial, copper and sulphur based etc). But substantially less is better than the huge amount we use at the moment I guess.

O

I think I have seen where pesticides can be linked to breast cancer--I think the sort of chemicals that get put on lawns to make them more green, or perhaps on golf courses?

H

Sounds more like they were using weed killer rather than a pesticide, but that's just splitting hairs. I may be wrong but I believe you may dispose of chemicals into the water course providing it is (a) non-toxic and (b) well diluted - the latter relates obviously to the quantity of water with which you dilute it. Depends entirely on the chemical. My concern would be any hazardous chemicals entering the food chain in a manner similar to DDT in the 60s and 70s. Does sound odd that they were disposing of the dregs in a confined water source

T

Herbicide/pesticide, potato/potahto... ;-)

H

@ The coastman: Why do I enjoy your posts again? Mean person... ;-)8-)

T

Hmmph, don't ask me - personally I can't stand my posts. But hey, think yourself lucky - I'm stuck with them!

H

Some wit, some wit; my Phd for some wit!