PhD Acknowledgments Problems

J

This may sound like a silly question (and it probably is), but how is it possible to strike the right tone in the acknwoledgments section? I get the impression that I am either drifting into emotional "Academy Award" style or in too formal and sober expressions of gratitude. As this is the only section anybody will ever read, it might be worth asking for advice. Any advice?

A

I would try to adjust the style to the person I am thanking each time. For example something sober and boring for the supervisors and something funny for fellow phd's. I don't know if this is helpful...

J

Thanks. That's definitely helpful. How about personal stuff? Yes, or no? For example, I was thinking about thanking my parents, but it sounds perhaps too cheesy.

J

If you read something like "thanks for always believing in me" in a PhD thesis, would you think that's a bit over the top?

A

To be honest, that exact phrase is a bit "academy award" style. But, I think that the acknowledgements is the only part of your thesis where you can show your personality, so if this is what you feel like writing, you should do it. I am thanking my family and friends too. Here is a sentence from my acknowledgements, and yes it is cheasy :-D

"...my family in Greece and especially Mama and Nikos for their love and encouragement and for every phone call they made when I was working late "

J

LOL - not bad.

I think this section is very difficult to write. It could mean doom or gloom.

I've been trying to write a sentence about my parents for the last 50 minutes and all I came up with thus far is: "...to my parents for always believing in me."

Need a break.

S

On the other hand, the worst sentence I read in an acknowledgements was "I managed to complete this thesis, despite my supervisors". They got the PhD, but I found it tricky to read bits of the thesis without their negativity coming through, no matter how bad their supervisors might have been

A

LOL it takes some guts to write that sentence, you must admit that:)

I think one of the side effects of doing a PhD is bitterness and cynicism, especially if you meet too many challenges along the way. This has happended to me and to a lot of other people I know and it is actually really sad.

Hopefully I will return back to my cheerful self once it is all over

P

i will be writing thanks to my parents for funding me!