PhD admissions - please advise..

H

I am currently a 3rd year undergrad student. I have been accepted to do a PGCE and also 2 masters which i have deferred until completion of the PGCE - my uncertainty is..im kinda border line 2:2 / 2:1 - what is the liklihood i can do a PhD if i achieve a 2:" at undergrad level even with a PGCE and MA /MSc on top.

B

I got accepted to do a PhD at one of the most prestigious unis in the country, with a 2.1 (undergrad) and a 1st (masters). If you're going on to do an MA, much of it will hang on your MA results really. I wouldn't suggest going straight from an undergrad to a PhD, though I know it happens often. The reason is that it can be quite a drastic leap for those who have never written an extensive piece of work, whilst doing an MA you will have completed a thesis of considerable size, which will prepare you more for the demands of the PhD.

B

Are you intending to remain in academia and become a lecturer? The reason I am asking is because it may be a waste of your time doing a PGCE. During your PhD, you will have opportunities to take accredited teaching courses which prep you to teach at uni level. It seems like quite a long road, PGCE then MA then PhD.

G

Might be easier to do a 7307 part-time/evenings?

H

It would be useful to know why you want to do a PGCE and two masters before the PhD.

G

I read the master's bit as one from (a choice of) two.

H

I want to do reserach areas.. i am actualy not planning to do both master's i will do one of the 2. I was lead to believe as i want to work with the education field i need to have teaching experience/qualification hence the PGCE

I was planning to do post grad study before applying for a PhD - would a 2:2 prevent me doing a PhD even with a masters aswell?

G

Re the PGCE there are a variety of other options, as in the aforementioned C&G.

H

what do you mean by C & G?

G

CITY and GUILDS 7307 Certificate in Further and Adult Education Teaching, which I believe (?) has been replaced by another C&G qualification BTW. Maybe suchlike could be fitted in around other things, as opposed to a year in itself. Just an idea.

H

Because i want to focus on early years of education that is my area of interest how would a C&G work?

N

If you want to research in Education (do I get it right?) then a PGCE would certainly be useful, but is not necesssary. I know a girl who got accepted for one and did really well. She had a MA in History I believe, dissertation not related to Education at all.

Her boyfriend was doing a PGCE with me and he said he always had the frustrating impression she was learning a lot more than him by doing field research, without actually getting to teach. What I see for sure, it saved her a LOT of trouble, work, and tears. PGCEs are certainly difficult, especially if you are not 200% "it's all about the kiddies"-minded.

M

Hebby, if your undergrad degree is a 2.2 it is unlikely you'll get a PhD place, and if you do, it will be at a lower university.

If you want to 'top-up' your 2.2 with a masters - you'll need to achieve a distinction or high merit to prove your ability.

I would agree that you do the PGCE course first, then you have a profession to fall immediately back into, if the PhD doesn't work out.

Also, funding opportunities for a 2.2 student are virtually non-existent.

H

I knew about the funding already - means it would be self funded..
with a 2:2 (if i dont achieve a 2:1 which i am aiming for) a masters to top it up could allow me to get onto a PhD course?

My reasoning for the PGCE was as stated to give me experience in the field, and also as mentioned if anything happens I can fall back onto that.

I know my results are not out yet so everything is on kinda a 'IF' - 'IF' I get a 2:2 i feel like its kinda the end to what i can achieve academically?

A

I think misspacey is right - you'd need a very strong Masters grade to make up for a 2:2. It would also have to be super relevant to the PhD you want to take. A research component would also help.

You don't know your grade yet, though. If you get a borderline 2:2 back, you can always challenge the grade.