PhD Advice Please?

T

======= Date Modified 21 Jan 2011 21:17:56 =======
Hi ppl

I'm new to this forum so be gentle with me :)

I currently work as a research microbiologist since graduating with a first degree in 2009 in biology, micro/chem pathway.
ive started to apply for phd studentships with the support of my manager and uni supervisor but i have yet to hear anything back. some of the interviews start next week!
i have a few questions if ppl could answer for me?
do uni's tend to notify ppl re: interviews at the last minute?
is it a good idea to email/call them to find out what is goin on with application?
as most of these studentships are 4 years (1st year doing an MSc) would my work exp count against me, would they prefer someone straight from uni?

any advice would be much appreciated!

A

Quote From thinkerbell:

======= Date Modified 21 Jan 2011 21:17:56 =======
1. do uni';s tend to notify ppl re: interviews at the last minute?
2. is it a good idea to email/call them to find out what is goin on with application?
3. as most of these studentships are 4 years (1st year doing an MSc) would my work exp count against me, would they prefer someone straight from uni?

1. No, sufficient notice should be given. University supervisors and administrators understand that people need to arrange time off from work, organise travel etc.

2. Sure, give them a call or drop them an e-mail. It will ease your mind to know how the application is progressing and will make you appear keen :-)

3. Relevant work experience is a bonus so don't worry about this!

Good luck with your applications :-)