Phd advice....

T

Hi Guys,
Just joined the forum so go easy on me.

I have a few questions regarding doing a phd.

1) Regarding fees: I have a course that states the fees are 7,900 (full time course) is that per year or for the full course.
2)On a PHD course is there many lectures?
3) Obviously the word limit varies for different project, but is it usually 80000 words?

Many thanks

T

I think you might be a bit confused as to what a PhD is. It's not like an undergraduate course where you have lectures - in the UK it's a research project where you may work completely unaided investigating a topic or addressing a certain gap in the literature. In most cases there are no compulsory lectures at all. You have one or two supervisors to guide you, but their input varies depending on their style, the discipline and the university. Fees are normally £3 k to £8 k per year. The thesis is normally 50,000 to 80,000 words.

Hi I'll add to that and say word count is usually between 50,000 and 100,000 words. Also I reiterate what's just been said: A PhD is not a course. If you are looking for a course then don't do a PhD, you will hate it.

You might want to read my blog on PhDs, however, "TreeofLife" sums things up quite nicely.

The only things I'll add are you should be looking for funded positions with stipends unless you are ridiculously rich and the PhD thesis in the end should provide an original contribution to knowledge in your field via any new data or findings you generate.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

Hi Thomas, welcome to the forum! I'd just like to add that, although there are no lectures, depending on experience and field you may be asked to assist in teaching. I know PhD students who help out undergraduate lab classes. But it absolutely isn't compulsory, and may not even happen within your institution.

Silver

Quote From Thomas1:
Hi Guys,

1) Regarding fees: I have a course that states the fees are 7,900 (full time course) is that per year or for the full course.
3) Obviously the word limit varies for different project, but is it usually 80000 words?

Many thanks

Thomas,

I've see your PM. Anything for a fellow Mackem that I can do to help.

FTM

Ian (mackem_Beefy)

T

Quote From Mackem_Beefy:
Quote From Thomas1:
Hi Guys,

Many thanks

Thomas,

FTM

Ian (mackem_Beefy)

Whats your name on there? maybe PM me ( SargentQ)

Quote From Thomas1:
Quote From Mackem_Beefy:
Quote From Thomas1:
Hi Guys,

Many thanks

Thomas,

FTM

Ian (mackem_Beefy)

Whats your name on there? maybe PM me ( SargentQ)

Shall do. Charmless Man is on here too. ;-)

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

J

Hi, I have join the forum to more know about dentle problem and to help you out as well.