PhD and mental health

A

hi all,
i am a current EU PhD student and am very happy to have found this site. at last a place where people discuss about the issues that concern me. anyway, after some years of doing the staff (the phd) early this year i had a massive anxiety/deepression crisis which is still ongoing but milder. i am trying to reorient my priorities and try to take my mind out of the phd because i saw what it can do to you. anyone had any similar experiences?
anyway, glad to be here

C

A surprising number of my lab were on anti-depressants

J

Ph.D and mental health? Incompatible.

L

Ph.D = Perminant Health Deterioration/Disorder
Ph.D = is a good chance/apportunity (3 years course)
to learn what depression, lonley and stress are really mean!
enjoy it as you can !

A

Well if this isn't interesting to hear... I'm on my first PhD year and I've also had a mental breakdown! Not the mention the every day tiredness and stress.

I can't even tell what is so stressful about the job. Maybe it's the lack of guidance!! I just sit in a room and no one tells me what to do! How frustrating is that? I go about doing some research and programming my stuff, all the while I drift further away from the other PhD students (who for some reason seem to think it too tiresome to speak to me). My friends that are still master students all finish right about now so soon I will be - alone.

Yes, I'm a melodramatic person.