PhD Application and Research Proposal

C

Hello all,

This is my first post, so hopefully someone will answer.

I am applying for an advertised PhD studentship and i face a problem with my application.

The problem is that it requires a research proposal but how can i write a research proposal when i am

applying for an already defined degree?

The advertised PhD is on Coventry University.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Christos

T

I think normally you'd have to do this to demonstrate your understanding of the area (i.e. lit review) even though the project is already loosely defined. Are you able to email the potential supervisors and ask them about it? That way you can get a feel for what they'd be expecting in the research proposal.

T

My first PhD application was exactly this process - I came second in the process, so hopefully my experience is not only relevant but useful to you.

I was applying to the University of Manchester and they had a predefined topic on the issue of representation and they outlined what the project is about. Your application (research proposal) needs to show that you understand the field, understand the literature, know the data, but that you can also bring your own twist to the research.

If you upload a copy of the advertised PhD (a link, say) then we could offer more specific advice.

J

ve been applying for PHD since 2013, not scholarships though but all I got were rejections. the thing is i practically lost my mind, I was frustrated. worst of all I thought it had to do with me graduating with a 2.2 in my undergraduate and not having a distinction in my masters. at some point I settled for maybe enrolling in an MBA whilst looking for a Phd, And i will sometimes just imagined I should probably just settle for a job with the government. I eventually got a job with a multi-national organisation and even got more frustrated and unfulfilled, am very spiritual and so I prayed hard. and went back to applying for a phd. and just today I got a reply from a professor stating her interest in my proposal and scheduled an interview with me for monday. To be honest am scared as hell, questions like''what if I dont impress her''? and am thinking she might loose interest in me after realising I have a 2.2 in my undergraduate and not a distinction in my masters. But like i said am believer am praying and hoping it goes well.

I NEED assistance on what to watch out for in my upcoming conversation with the potential supervisor

D

Hi Joan

I am a volunteer tutor who works with narrow range of issues within the field of PhD studies, focussing on students at risk and struggling students. Your post caught my attention as the issue of who is qualified to study a PhD is a topic that I am passionate about. I come from the professions and when I determine who is qualified to be admitted into a PhD I look at the 14 factors in my YouTube presentation, attached. The D.Soc.Sc degree at Leicester and Leeds Universities are examples of doctoral programs that might be more willing to look at a broader list of factors beyond grades. Yes, I agree universities prefer an Hons 1 or Hons 2/1 or a Master Degree with an A or Distinction average, but not always. Doctoral supervisors know that 9/20 PhD candidates on average will never graduate and some can be swayed by a classy application that shows great thought, especially with the research proposal. I suggest review this YouTube and structure your application so that you show maturity that will get you through the program, such as work experience and a winner research proposal. There is an Acrobat version available, which I prefer personally as YouTubes moving I find distracting.

All the best
Jay

F

Hi Jay. I'm working on a proposal at the mo, and this is useful. I'd love your opinion on something. My background is this. I was a straight-A state school pupil who, lacking confidence, ended up studying English at a mid-ranking uni where I just didn't push myself but got a 2.1, with some firsts in final year modules. After, I worked abroad for a year then took a grad job in the comms dept. of a government body where I became bored so retrained as a teacher. Spent 3 years in a school where I became head of media before moving to the 6th form sector. For 8 years, I've taught A-level and for the past 4 have run my own Lit department taking it from 'in need of improvement' to one of the most successful in the country for our cohort-type. Also work with my local university mentoring PGCE students, which has included guidance on M-level research projects and contributing to Viva Voce assessments. From 2012-15 I did a part-time MSc in Tech Enhanced Learning and received good marks - 75% dissertation and two A-grades and a B grade for the other modules. Now I wish to return to the study of English Lit, and am writing a proposal (in what one of my former lecturers says is an under-researched area) in the hope of finding fees funding, with the intention of dropping some hours at work to study. But do I stand a chance? So worried about my 2.1 and patchy transcript from that but hope my other grades and professional experience will atone for it. Everything I've done for the past eleven / twelve years has been working towards this, but I worry that I'm just not good enough. Any hope? Cheers. FallenOnion.

D

Hi rising spring onion

I really enjoyed reading your mini story. You have had a variety of experiences to reflect on. How inspiring. This chat might work best if we PVT part of the discussion, as I am very keen to see your CV, which I assume if not for broadcast on the forum (?). Graduate Coordinators may prefer to see applicants modestly talk themselves UP rather than down. I get a strong vibe that you have some great UP stuff in your CV, if you are willing to share that.

Best - Jay

F

Thanks for your reply Jay, that would be great. I'll email you my CV right away. Cheers.