phd application tips

K

So, funded phd applications open shortly. I know there is lots of competition for places so any tips much appreciated, specifically, does your grade matter or is it down to department contacts you have at the uni you apply to e.g course leaders giving the posts to their favourite students? I ask as I'm on course for distinction as asignments are in mid 80's (although dissertation not marked yet, it couldbe pants, lol) but on a p/t course I have limited contact with tutors and wonder if that's a disadvantage at application. Also do people just apply to any suitable phd at all unis or do you take into account the RAE? I've had my confidence getting a place knocked as my mgr at work basically thinks I'll struggle to get place.

Thanks in advance

:-)

T

My interpretation of PhD interviews is that they are similar to applying for any job. If you meet the basic criteria, then all you need to do is get them to like you and the PhD is yours... :) Sounds easy right? It is if you do your homework on the uni, supervisors, research area and background to the project. Demonstrate abilities in other non-academic areas such as management, training, coaching etc plus desirable qualities such as capacity to be proactive, reasonable and a good team worker also helps.

I think firsts or distinctions are looked upon more favorably and a personal recommendation from a respected colleague goes a long way too. There will be favouritism involved of course - if a supervisor likes you and knows what you are capable of already it's irrelevant whether you have a 2.1 and someone they dislike has a first. Harsh but true.

When considering PhDs to apply for the university is important (research record plus location) but supervisor and projects can be equally important as well depending on the type of person you are. A little positivity and enthusiasm goes a long way so don't be disheartened by your manager's comments. If you believe you can do it then you probably can. Good luck!

P

Are you applying in the US/Canada or UK?

Because, one thing to think about is whether the University has a professor who can supervise your topic. You can tick all the boxes with grades and please them in the interview, but if there is no one at the university who can supervise the topic you want then you wont get in. This matters more in the UK, but less so in the US. Thus the first question!

Good luck,

Potatoes

R

Following on from what Kelly P has written, does anyone know how important looking at old University records are?
I assume that Funded PhDs are quite competitive so I suppose my rubbish grades from years 1-3 will not look good,
even though I got a 2:1 undergrad degree and a distinction Masters.
Also do they expect you to be published?

K

Thanks, yeah treeoflife, that's what I suspected. I've been allocated a supervisor for my MA dissertation who is a practitioner, although has some publications and is really personable and knowledgable on the practice front and I really like them, whereas the course leader who is supervising others is widely published with strong contacts at other universities. I might try and request a meeting with the course leader to try and get advice on application and references. I'm UK based and have been looking at RAE's and possible supervisors. It didn't even cross my mind they would want to look at degree transcripts with old course grades on! Mines a right mixed bunch as I was ill part way through my degree but got a 2:1. Im excited about applying and hope my dissertation, that I have sent to my supervisor today, doesn't need loads of revision as I'd like to get applications in by the usual Jan deadline. I'm not published (as yet) although I have presented my research at a national teaching event so I hope that goes in my favour.

:-)