phd assistance

M

Hello , I want to do a PhD in human resource management in any of UK, united states or Canadian university . looking for scholarship am an international student from Nigeria with BSC in economics (2:2 in Nigeria) and masters degree from a UK university not merit seriously in need of a PhD. I need your advice as to which direction I should follow .thank you

T

Please check findaphd.com for suitable PhDs that fund international students.

Please note you may be at a disadvantage with a 2.2 and a pass MSc.

Thanks

M

think you will struggle to get a scholarship with a 2:2 and no distinction in Masters.

S

Hi malitony2009,

I would echo TreeofLife's advice inasmuch as checking findaphd.com, as they have a good list and they also clearly represent funding source and availability for each studentship. Jobs.ac.uk is also worth checking. Or if you have a particular university in mind, try their site for any studentships going.

In view of the remarks from the two other respondents thus-far, I would add that not all Masters degrees are graded - some are just pass/fail, as was mine (I was the only one the "course", for God's sake!). Did you actually have "pass" on your degree certificate? For these purposes, a Masters degree bumps up your honours degree class by one notch, therefore you technically have a 2:1 equivalent. I would be more concerned to find out whether or not your Nigerian degree is recognised for UK PhD admission... though I presume it would be as you got onto a UK Masters course in the first place.

R

I know that for doing Phd there is no age limit. If one will be interested to do a PhD after earning some money and finding a good topic for research will he be able do that.
What will be the amount of financial help will he be getting? How can it be done being on the job? And most of the universities offer financial assistance to international students. It depends upon the funds available with the department and the eligibility of the student.
You should get in touch with the concerned professor of the subject you are interested in the university you want to pursue your PhD.

Once again, I'll post up a link to my blog. :-)

http://www.wearthesis.talktalk.net

The masters will bump you up one notch from 2(ii) to 2(i) equivalent as SimonG says, giving you the bare minimum for PhD consideration. This would normally be a minimum for funding, however, you'll have to check on this with you not being an EU national. I will note that with there being more 2(I) qualified people with Masters up to at least merit level, competition has increased.

The University you qualified from in Nigeria will have some bearing. If it's an established, well known one then that will be a big help. However, there are organisations in Nigeria which are little more than institutions on paper and this makes Universities wary elsewhere in the world.

I'll comment my PhD University had two Nigerian masters students who were really top of their game. One of my colleagues and I tried to persuade them to remain for PhD. They decided to return home to start careers instead, which is a shame as one of them at least could have gone on to be a top notch scientist. They'd come from decent Universities in Nigeria and the quality of their work showed that.

Ian