PhD Blues - Should I Quit?

N

Hi guys

I havent posted any threads on here since July of last year when I was initially offered my PhD. Although things were great for the first 6 months + I really enjoyed my research, I am now really struggling + depressed + I am wondering whether or not this PhD is for me.

One of the main problems is my anxiouness, which I feel everyday while at university + then at night time when I go home. I am always worrying about whether or not I am doing enough work + how I am progressing. It is making me a nervous wreck + I feel it will only get worse as the PhD progresses. My PhD is within the field of science + I am also finding it extremely hard to complete my laboratory work but also do research. Although I have experience in the analytical techniques I am using, the theories are all new to me + I just cant get my head around them + I dont think I ever will - it just doesnt interest me!!!

Prior to starting the PhD I worked for 2 years within industry + I now feel this is where I am probably best suited. My main reason for doing the PhD was to gain experience within a different sector of the scientific industry + learn new skills. However I find the research aspect really difficult and the thought of doing this when I graduate makes me feel depressed. So I have to ask the question - if I dont want to do reasearch is a PhD for me?

I have always been very hard working + having previously done a BSc and MSc thought I was prepared for the PhD but maybe I was wrong.

If I did decide to leave the PhD programme I have the worry of what I would do afterwards? I have rent and bills etc to pay + cant afford to not have an income of some sort. I also dont want to let my supervisor + university department down who have been very supportive + paid my tuition fees + my monthly stipend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

T

Hello, I have a mood disorder and am attempting to do a PhD too. One piece of advice I would give it to seek help for your depression and then decided whether or not you want to continue your PhD when you aren't struggling with mental health woes, they really do cloud your judgement.

I am doing a Chemistry PhD and like you the analytical technique is familiar to me but the area of chemistry is rather alien to me, or at least it was. Over the last couple of months I've found I know a lot more of the theory than I thought was possible! I'm about 16 months in now so try not to give up hope on too soon and I don't have much interest in the field of chemistry I came to the project wanting to improve my understanding of the analytical technique.

If you ever want to talk to someone in a similar boat please feel free to message me. Best wishes.

N

Hi Thumbelina

Thank you for the reply - it is very much appreciated :)

I made an appointment today to speak to the counsellor at university so I can discuss my problems and hopefully clarify the situation in my head. At the moment it is just such a struggle to get out of bed in the mornings knowing I'm going into something I'm not enjoying and don't understand. I then get frustrated and upset when I eventually sit down to do the work as I spend so much time trying to make sense of it all but get no where and end up feeling worse - it's a vicious circle!!!

I shall let you know how I get on.

Thanks Again

E

Hang in there, Nti97sma. What you are feeling now is very normal/common for all PhD students.

I am in the 3rd year of my PhD study and have gone through all those blues, doubts, anxieties, stress, distress, and constantly thinking of throwing in the towel, even recently. Doing PhD is a very very lonely journey, which only the toughs could go through during those tough times. However, no one can go through the journey without the help and encouragement from people close to them. They could be family members, friends, fellow PhD students, etc.

How I managed the last 2 over years was by sharing my burdens with those who understand (especially if they are doing or have completed their PhD) and reminding myself the reason for doing my PhD. To me doing PhD is a time of experiencing and learning about life and people; not about studying to get a paper qualification. So I find myself fulling the aims I set out for my PhD journey so far, and have been enjoying the journey inspite of those difficulties. It is also very important to ensure that the research topic I selected is one which I am really interested in to see me through the 3 to 4 years of study. Lastly, praying for peace, wisdom and inspiration from God is very important too.

Just some thoughts to share.

Cheers!