PhD by Publication

M

Hi

Can someone explain to me how a PhD by Publication works and what universities offer it?

How many significant published papers must one have to be considered for a PhD by publication program?

I have one very significant paper published in the field of Forensic Entomology - the paper and my findings significantly changed the methods by which entomologists estimate time since death in murder cases. This paper has been cited in a large number of research papers and has been the inspiration behind many published work. In summary, it is a very important and well known piece of research in Forensics.

I am not familiar with the PhD by publication program and its criteria. Its possible that what I believe to be a significant piece of work may not be enough in reality. Therefore, I would appreciate any feedback on this matter.

W

Good evening, Mystic-Guru. A member of my PhD supervisory team is doing a PhD by publication. You typically need to have at least 5 papers published at my uni, and you still have to go through many of the procedures that you encounter through the usual route of a PhD - so unfortunately you don't eschew the philosophical elements. I've got the guidelines for my uni concerning what you need to do to obtain a PhD by publication. If you like, I would be very happy to send it to you.

By the way, you line of work sounds fascinating - real CSI stuff.

S

This kind of phd is also offered in Japan. My friend had to publish 4 papers for his phd. He also went through the same process but his thesis was very thin and easy to read. Why because it only had 4 papers in it.

F

Try Geneva University !