PhD Depression - any chatbot/mobile app therapy is helpful at all?

S

Hi there,

I am in my PhD journey for about 2 years. Since mental health has been a huge issue among research student population, I have been researching about this as part of PhD. I have recently come across a number of chatbot/mobile app that helps alleviate depression and anxiety. Anyone has ever used it? If so, can you please share your experience? Have you found them helpful in managing your anxiety, re-channeling your energy and thinking patterns towards positivity? etc

It would be great to have some insights from other fellow PhDs or research students.

S

You can try 7cups.com. Give it a shot and find out how helpful it might be.
Good luck!

H

Hi Summer,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with your anxiety/depression.

Have you tried Headspace? It's a meditation app with plenty of free meditations to try (but you can also pay to unlock other packs) and it's great for people who have never meditated before because it talks you through the process.

Or if meditating isn't for you, practising mindfulness can be very calming. There's so much written about mindfulness, just pop it into google and see what you find. Happy searching!

M

Hi, I am sorry to hear that, I was with anxiety and depression in my first year, so I went to the student services and usually they have counselors that can help you to deal with that, for me is being great and I am still on it. My work is better and I feel that my counselor is helping me a lot. Try do something that you like maybe at the gym of your university between hours of lab...Yoga has been great to me.
I hope that this can help..