PhD Depression - Is it the time to change our education system ?

K

Q:
Is it the time to change our education system ?

A:
I just feel as if I have a solution so called to the PhD depression. Need for change in the education system !

Nodoubt that today's world is very competitive. So we are. But I used toask myself many times... are we heading the right direction in thiscompetitive World or is it mere self sustenance ?

Not allresearchers, centuries ago, did not have so called PhD titles, if Iwere right ! But all top researchers had good training and some of themlearnt by themselves deeply on the subject of their interest !

Weall get good training and exposure to many subjects during ourBachelors degrees. However, in some parts of the country, we are notspecializing in one particular topic at Masters level. Mainly coz theyoffer few electives at Masters level! In my point of view, one mustreally specialize in one particular area of research interest to givehim/her strong foundation. Mean to say that, if you want to specializein the area of Biotech-Enzymology, then u should take necessarysubjects and get trained throughout ur Masters studies. Aftercompleting Masters course, one must work with senior experts/researchesas well as with (interdisciplinary) group doing scientific work atleast for about 3-4 years to establish very well in their field ofchoice! Once established they can seep slowly and deeply by pursuingPhD's then.

This will eradicate problems like depression or low self confidence or unsuccessful thesis.

Ifthe candidate feels he might be unsuccessful in the chosen field , hewill have time and choice to shift while pursuing masters itself !!!

With these in my mind, I feel our educators should decide how to channelize the future generations of researchers!

Coz,tomorrow me sitting in the top most decision making position, I dontwant to follow blindly the rules framed by ancestors that are notfruitful !

Any comments most welcome.

L,
K.

C

======= Date Modified 25 Nov 2009 20:24:57 =======
Interesting points. People in other jobs also have depression -- only difference is we're subordinate to a supervisor and they're subordinates to a boss. Same thing different name.

I think you have a fair point, but you would, in my field anyway, have to do a general MSc and then a specific MSc after that to even approach the kind of depth you would get from a PhD. The PhD also trains you in so many ways, working independently, writing, publishing, thinking your way out of annoying problems. Working for another researcher is great, but you will get told what to do all the time - altho I guess it depends what your sup is like, mine hasn't contacted me for weeks!

A

You might want to take a look at another thread which relates to 'Failed PhD - Any Advice?' You will read about a litany of academics causing significant problems for students in reserach. You've learned useful techniques and know something about how to write up results at this point. Please take a look at this thread and be shocked at the closed mindedness of universities towards students when it suits their own political agenda. If you genuinely feel that you can't go on...then don't, why hurt yourself? The PhD doesn't define you as a person, its a part of who you are, you're a hard worker and obviously clever.

L

I don't think is particularly a problem of PhD, is the whole culture. This are times in which depression is one of the biggest diseases.

Now, I think we are far more overespecialized and competitive than a century ago. I don't want to be mean, but it was easier to be Einstein 100 years ago, than today. Today an Einstein would take longer to be produced (if ever) because all the basic science is already understood, so in order to get into a position of originality, your really need to understand the whole feel, therefore taking way longer than times in which "nothing was yet invented".

It is difficult to be original and make out thesis cause a mayor impact, so we should learn to nurture ourselves and don't take the problems so personal. Which eventually leads to depression. As long as your work ethics is fine and you work hard, you put yourself in a position to reach success, however success does not only depends on you, but sometimes culture makes us believe that your success or failing are all dependent on you, very deterministic way to think.

The basic knowledge is saturated already. I agree that these days PhDs, at least in science should be more practical, and paper orientated. It its very unlikely that someone would have a major discovery during its PhD. I wish I was born in the 19th century....