PhD, eating disorder, mental health

L

Hi

I'm just looking for some advice and thoughts about what to do.

I have an eating disorder (alongside depression and anxiety - but they're offshoots of said eating disorder, bulimia) and I'm halfway through my PhD. I get really anxious, worked up when I have to do presentations and it only makes my anxiety worse and that has an impact on my eating disorder (messes up my eating patterns). I'm aware of this and I'm in treatment - so I am trying to change this (as I know presentations are a part of academic life). However, I'm due to give one on Tuesday and I've had a terrible weekend (stress, emotional, eating....generally not a very good weekend mentally) as I'm so worried about it. I know this is stupid to ask but what should I do?

It'd be nice just to hear some thoughts on whether I should go ahead with the presentation? Or perhaps pull out of it (alongside speaking to my supervisors about my health - they are aware of it, but don't know how bad it really is)?

Any help and answers are appreciated :)

M

Is there anyone that could do the presentation for you on this occasion? Perhaps your supervisor?

I think you should be honest with your supervisor about it though, you'll find that in the long run it will actually make things much easier. I've told my supervisor about the issues I have and he's been absolutely wonderful. It's helped massively. I certainly can't see any negatives to telling him.

I think the best thing to do is explain to your supervisor and then see what he/she says about it and go from there.

C

I agree about talking to your supervisor, and seeing if there's anything that can be done to make Tuesday less scary. Is it very important for you to give this presentation? Can anyone do it for you or with you? Can it be changed to a poster presentation? People will vary in how important they say these presentations are, but my personal opinion is that a line is crossed when something is making you unwell. Whatever you decide, please don't then beat yourself up about it - you're in treatment and trying to move forward with something really difficult, so go easy on yourself!

L

Thank you for the replies - very much appreciated (and I should have said by Tuesday - I meant a week tomorrow and not tomorrow)!

The presentation is for some policy makers for an organisation who co-funds part of my research study. It doesn't help when I don't agree with their view on policies either - but that's another matter! I will speak to my supervisor - although one time he did tell me "sh** happens and you've just got to get on with it" - but, I suppose tough love is sometimes needed!

Thanks again for the advice :)