Phd entry requirements

S

Hi,
I have a BSc geology 2:2 and a MSc disitinction.
Is there an easy way to search for Phds opportunities where the entry requirements are easily seen? Obviously some Universities have a minimum requirement such as Southampton (2:1) so i know not to look at these but others Im not so sure of.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P

I think it's not so much the university's entry requirements that need to be known, but much more important is the requirements of any funding bodies you're applying to. Most universities will accept you with a 2:2 and a distinction, but for an unfunded place.

I would call the admissions departments and ask. The funding bodies can require a 2:1 minimum but some of them have flexibility. A distinction at masters should partially negate your undergrad, especially if the masters is relevant to your PhD and you have a reason for your low grade. The fact is you performed better for a more difficult course which is an achievement that you can lean on.

Goodluck!

A

In my experience it's very rare for funders to stipulate requirements; typically they fund the PI and it's the PI's job to find a suitable candidate.

It's really HR where degree classifications stick since for the pencil-pushers there, a quick sift on measurable criteria is a time-saver. Many academics could be completely persuaded by someone with a 3rd who makes a compelling argument as to why that happened and shows passion and knowledge in the topic of the PhD. Call the admissions department and ask is not bad advice - but also bear in mind the admissions department will likely be an HR person who might just be following the rule they want a 2:1; not an academic who would consider the situation. Wherever possible contact the academic/PI, not the HR department.

I would not let the 2:2 hold you back at all. Frankly, I'd be inclined where you can to just indicate you have a degree then explain if asked at interview, because if HR are just sifting this might get you infront of the interview panel to explain what you know and how much you care about the topic. Absolutely do not forgo opportunities just because they say on the form they want a 2:1 and you have a 2:2 then an MSc Distinction - you'd be deliberately excluding yourself for no good reason.

L

Quote From rewt:
I would call the admissions departments and ask. The funding bodies can require a 2:1 minimum but some of them have flexibility. A distinction at masters should partially negate your undergrad, especially if the masters is relevant to your PhD and you have a reason for your . The fact is you performed better for a more difficult course which is an achievement that you can lean on.

Goodluck!

Right.