PhD Finances

This questions really aimed at full-time PhD students receiving a stipend. Seeing as it's coming up to the end of the quarter, I was wondering, how do you cope money-wise? Do you find that you have quite a bit to spare at the end of each quarter? Or that you just about break even? Or do you have to resort to job/parents/savings? Personally, I'm a student in the south of England (not London allowance area) on the basic 13k-ish stipend, and find that I really don't have much, if any, left over at the end of each quarter...

What kind of situation are others in?

M

That's about the same as my stipend, plus I earn a bit of money from teaching and tutoring which goes into savings (principally then to be removed to pay for my car insurance when it comes up for renewal next month!) when I can afford it. I tend to be fractionally into my overdraft, since it's interest-free, at the time the next quarter's money comes in.

I'm always in my interest free overdraft - it might as well be my general account. I do bits of teaching and consultancy, but always under £5k for the year so it stays untaxed. I have hubby's money which is good because he pays for the mortgage and bills and then I pay for food, travel, petrol etc. but it all seems to go! Luckily I am sponosred by a company and their money (around £2k) is supposed to go into my monthly stipend pay BUT for some reason it never does, so I get paid it across 4 months all in one go (these next four months - yay!) so I have an extra £500 each month until july. Although this year I'm putting it towards a 'funding finished, can't get a job, can't afford to eat' fund for october :-(

P

Hi,

I know this won't help you out majorly financially but I am looking for 22-24 year old students to be on an opinion panel. We're looking for fun, enthusiastic, intelligent young people to be on our well respected opinion panel for a television company. You'll get paid to give your opinion every month and go to workshops at the London studios.

Every month we’ll ask you to give us your opinion on topical issues which will give us an insight and feedback. Examples of previous subjects include 21st Century Women and the Credit Crunch. They are only approx 300-500 words in length or if you wanted to do a video, 2 minutes would be fine. You will get £5 per piece of content. We’ll also invite you to attend at least two creative seminars at their centre in London and you’ll get £30 for every workshop and £20 for every mini workshop and your travel expenses are paid. If you are on the panel for 12 months you will also get an additional £200.

However the best thing about this once in a lifetime opportunity is that the experience of working for this broadcasting company will look fantastic on your CV and it is invaluable work experience.

The panel must be recruited to nationally represent young people in Britain therefore there is a strict recruitment policy in place. However please note that all applicants will be carefully considered and can be rest assured that we will not be discriminative in any way.

If you are interested please call me on 0113 394 7935 or email [email protected]

Hope to hear from you soon,
Rachel

Quote From Panel_Manager:

We're looking for fun, enthusiastic, intelligent young people

That's me out then.

I notice that one of your clients is Tussaud's (yes I've looked at your website - I'm a researcher, I can't help it). If I go ahead and apply, can I have a personal loan of the new Robert Pattinson wax work? He can stand in my office and will me on to finish my thesis :-x