PhD Funding

G

Hi everyone!

I am from Greece and I am about to begin my PhD studies (09/01/2012) at Heriot Watt University (Edinburgh) and I am going to be a self funded student. I tried to qualify for one of the offered scholarships but I did not make it. So, I decided to start my PhD and seek for alternative funding options either through the Uni or through external sources.
I was wondering if anyone is a self funded PhD student and if he/she tried to find other funding opportunities for their PhD (even if not for their 1st year). Furthermore, I would like to know if anyone has attempted to find a part-time job in order to support his/her studies. My supervisors suggested me that if I want to work in parallel I should consider doing the PhD on a part-time basis. However, this is not an option for me. Therefore, taking into account the economic instability of Greece, it is highly significant for me to find a way to support my dream/PhD.
I am looking forward to hear from anyone who had/has the same experience or any suggestions.

Cheers..
Giorgos

T

I don't know too much about finding funding after starting a PhD (although I do expect that it will be difficult), however I think it's perfectly possible to do a full time PhD and work part time, although it probably depends on what area your PhD is in.

I worked 20 hours per week during my science MSc and I work 10 hours per week during my PhD at the moment. I guess it will become more difficult in the second and third years of the PhD though. Also, it helps that I live 5 mins drive from uni so I don't waste any time travelling etc.

G

Thanks for your reply!

I am also guessing that it will be difficult to find funding in the following years. Therefore a part time job seems like the only solution!

Giorgos

T

If you can manage a job in your university, it would be better for you. Various PhD students are doing job with PhD.