PhD, how to know if you cut the mustard?

T

Desperately seeking advice on this from those who've taken the leap into PhD already, will be most grateful for any insights.
Basically I graduated last summer (2.1 by borderline viva), have been working abroad for a diagnostics company and am now looking PhD-ward. I don't necessarily hanker for a career in academia, I have interests in genetic couselling and science communication too. However I love research, want a solid grounding in my subject, and not insignificantly I'm tied to North Scotland as my partner has a child here (rules out masters in other interests for now). My question is whether embarking on a PhD really has to be the life-defining, soul-burning move some suggest. IS it worth the struggle if you can live your life without it? Most people of any great success seem to have sacrificed their lives to their research, I know right now that while I will give it my best, I won't give it my whole life, in which case, do I belong there? Oh, and just to complicate things, I've had mental health issues in the past, have others struggled with such things and gone on to cope with a PhD successfully? Many thanks.

D

if you want to do it - you will do it. I believe the P in PhD is all about Perserverence. If you dont want it - you will not get it. I couldn't or wouildnt want to see myself doing anything else. But thats only on reflection! Its not easy at all.

D

For me, doing a PhD was something I'd always wanted to do, and although there were some 'down' moments, I think the overall experience was positive. In fact I think it was some of the best three years of my life, and I definately maintained a social life (but then I didnt do a science PhD which sounds like a lot more hard work). I think it all depends on working out what you really want to do which i know is easier said than done ...

K

I've just started a science PhD and I'm not going to give up a social life. My bf isn't in academia so wouldn't like it if I couldn't go out or take holidays etc. I'm planning to work hard in the week but try not to sacrifice too much, although best laid plans...

S

Do a Masters and see how you get on - then decide about the PhD

S

Hey. I'm based in North Scotland too. What uni were you thinking of going to? I'm probably going to give a biased opinion because at the moment I'm completely fed up.

If you have a topic that you feel passionate about then I think doing a PhD is well worth it. But I think you have to compensate for everything else in life. I'm self funded so have a job and teach some classes during term. It takes so much motivation to work on the PhD at weekends and night when you know you could be doing other things.

Also, I started off wanting a job in academia but my experience so far hasn't been too positive. If it will help your career and you have a topic you're interested in then YES. If not, then I think its a big commitment that you might regret.